Anyone using RGT Cycling, thoughts?

How do you get TR and RGT to run together? I can’t get TR to control the trainer as RGT always wants to be the controller for slope.

I mainly use IOS and AppleTV combo but have tried using an Android tablet as well without success

1 Like

Do you have a Power meter? I connect both RGT and TR to mine but RGT is not connected to the trainer for me (only TR).

Edit: however on other days RGT is connected to the trainer and not TR depending how I feel :wink:

I have 2 Ant+ dongles and a BLE dongle, Windows and Android phone.
I open RGT and ensure nothing is connected in the app. Then open Trainerroad, connect all devices in there then start the workout. Once it’s clear that Trainerroad is controlling things, usually easy to tell if you’re going uphill and the power in the warm up is low, I then connect in RGT, the only way I can get the avatar to move is to use the trainer option via Ant+.
Occasionally RGT seems to take over , very rarely, and when it does i just disconnect trainer from RGT, leave things to settle and then reconnect. It works really well for me this way but I think it does depend on your equipment as I’ve seen other ways. Just need to play around and find what works but it’s definitely doable

EDIT - I have no doubt many will wonder “why bother?” I’m afraid I don’t have the answer to that one other than “because you can”

2 Likes

I am getting the NPE cable pod tomorrow to get my Atv to work with Zwift and TR (on my iphone) together via Bt. Would or could be the same for you with rgt.

I’ve been using RGT for 2 years now. Main issues are related to conectivity and in those most of them are related to bad internet. WiFi is just to instable. Since I got a powerline to the garage that allows me to have a wired connection to the PC using ANT+ from the PC to connect to the trainer and leaving the much stronger WiFi that comes out of the powerline when compared to the main router signal just for the phone app i’ve stopped having connection issues. RGT calculates the avatar position on their servers not on each one’s PC like Zwift for instance and thats one of the reasons they need a much more reliable and stable connection and just WiFi even a high speed one sometimes isnt good enough due to the so many ways WiFi can get interferences.

You can read this article explaining in detail this conectivity issue that is in fact the main reason for some to dislike the app: https://www.rgtcycling.com/blog/connectivity-pains/

Also races are getting each day more crowded are are mainly users organized. The Ride feeling for me beats any other APP i’ve tested so far within that type of APPS. And beeing able to create your own roads just by sending rgt a GPX file is in fact bringing a lot more users to that APP.

Well you highlighted the key points for a good experience, good graphic capability, lots of RAM and a stable Internet connection, you can run it quite happily on 4G, you don’t need Internet speed, just stable connection.
In my experience over the last 18 months the vast majority of issues I see are related to the kit people have and the location of use, very rarely is it an RGT problem.
They did have a spate of people not being able to join events due to server issues amd to me this is the worst problem, nothing worse than planning your day around an event and then not be able to enter it.
It’s not perfect but still a very good platform.

4 Likes

I used it for the first time in a couple of months last night in parallel to TR and it was nice and stable. It was also good to see they have added a new road. Although see is a relative term being a glasses wearer and they were rather blurred at the end (I really must find my head band) :joy:

Before the blur:

3 Likes

Bumping up this topic because the new updated RGT is really good. No more needing to run the session from your phone with a separate “screen” app.

I’d say this is a great option for those people who want to do a TR workout and like to have Zwift running too as a distraction. The free version of RGT is perfect for this!

3 Likes

I like RGT but I find there are very few people riding (tried last winter)… Did it change recently?

2 Likes

I think it’s more popular in the European time zones. I see a handful during my afternoon workouts, pacific time. Normally I use the Magic Road option and add bots to keep me company. Head over to https://rgtdb.com/ for more group ride/race posting.

The new version is much improved for me. It finally supports my trainer, gen 1 Elite Drivo, as power only mode with Ant+.

2 Likes

In my (non Euro) timezone if I pick the most populated free map and just ride, there now seem to be enough people to make the workout feel somewhat social. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve really been enjoying RGT. The experience is actually pretty good (and free). There’s drafting and braking for corners so races seem to be more life-like. The bigger races usually start at 5am for me (gmt+11) but other, well attended races, starting at times I wouldn’t consider joining, are probably appropriate for North American mornings.

My old laptop (entry level circa 2015) has an onboard graphics card plus i5 and 4 GB of RAM and seems adequate - I don’t ask any more of it than the RGT app alone

2 Likes

Which type of graphics card do you have exactly? I have a 2018 Lenovo (i7, 16GB of RAM with an RX550 (Laptop Variant) Graphics Card) and while it is playable on the low settings (around 20fps), the graphics perfomance was always the reason why I uninstalled RGT after few days (already 3 times). I can play far more demanding games on this laptop with better settings!

Is the new release any better in terms of graphics performance, or do you have other tips?

Thanks.

I had a quick go on RGT last night and there are definately a few things about it that I prefer to Zwift - the actual dynamics of drafting and cornering is better for example.

There wasn’t many other users though; it also made me appricate the more “arty” world design of zwift - the more realistic RGT world seemed a little dull in comparison.

I’m looking forward to trying a race on RGT though.

2 Likes

I run a desktop with 1050 Ti on ultra with 1080p TV and are capped at 60 fps.

I don’t believe so but they did make twinks recently so depending on when you last try, I would give a go again. If it’s the same, I would put a ticket to RGT support, Jira Service Management. Their system requirement is GeForce series 9 or better so you should be doing better.

I used it tonight on my phone which was in parallel with TR on my laptop. I would have liked it to recognise my Ant + dongle and power meter but it didn’t though, hey ho, so it read off my BT turbo. Other than that it ran smooth on my J9 and I prefer the closer to reality aspects of the programme.

I’ll probably run it on my lap top tomorrow night no I can get the ant +

Read on FB that Ant+ is doesn’t work on mobile. You need to run it on an PC (same as the two previous versions). Haven’t tried it on my Samsung S7 (app runs) and probably will not. It’s just too small for my eyes.

1 Like

It’s a shame that ANT+ doesn’t work on mobile.
Agree that a phone screen is very small, even if mounted on the handlebars.

Might be ok for casual rides, but in racing I find it important to see the stats (remaining distance etc.)

Frame rate is constantly below 20 on a Pixel 4a with graphics set to “low”.

Overall, I like RGT better than Zwift (too flashy for me). Sadly, most RGT events are only 30-40km, which is not much if you want to replace a weekend outdoor ride.

Biggest issue for me personally: The gradient changes come out of nowhere no matter the app. I’m spending so much mental energy on finding the right gear instead of focusing on the effort, it takes all the fun out. Prefer TR’s blue bars (or 0% trainer difficulty/dumb trainer). Anyone else in the same boat?

1 Like

The gradient is well displayed (on a decent sized screen anyway). There’s an overview of the whole route profile across the bottom and a zoom of the upcoming few hundred metres in the top right insert (also showing the current gradient %). These are all colour-labeled to draw attention to upcoming steep hills or descents.

I’m really enjoying RGT and am using it in preference to TR at the moment, just for the added interest and motivation - even if only racing a bot! It’s working flawlessly on a 4k Apple TV with a 32" curved Dell gaming monitor and Kickr.

Some of my early magic roads were bad for that and what I decided to do was drop the trainer feedback to 80%. Which gives you virtually lower gears. Or ride their Real Roads for as long as I like.