Anyone Adding Rucking to Their Winter Base?

I’ve gotten into rucking on forest trails (of medium to high difficulty – the state parks around here are full of lots of exposed roots, rocks, lots of twists and sharp little ups and downs as they traverse the ridges and hills) this fall, doing 4-5 hours a week in three hikes.

I’m finding that going as fast as I can with a high walking cadence get HR into that 60-70% HR Peak zone, but with 35-40lbs in the pack (I weigh 165), 90-120min of that will kick my fanny with all the work balancing and keeping footing on trails.

Any tips? Gear loves? Others combining rucks with rides?

2 Likes

Wait…so you intentionally put on a weighted pack so you can “ruck”!?

Impressive. But I had enough of that as a machinegunner in the Marine Corps.

I do like hiking with my wife but with little day packs and lots of water and snacks.

Careful you don’t wear down you knees and ankles over extending your stride (to go faster) with that added weight…but most of all enjoy!

3 Likes

People do all sorts of stupid stuff to break a sweat. Yes, rucking is one of them. Personally, I’d rather ruck than run.

Yep, land midfoot and just slightly ahead of the center of gravity, like running. Overstride and you’ll ruin all sorts of stuff.

1 Like

Rucking? Isn’t that what deer do?

1 Like

Lol no that’s Rutting. Rucking, like a Ruck sack. It’s basically hiking with a heavy backpack.

2 Likes

Same. My brother got into it and would always ask if I wanted to join him. I’d tell him it’s great he’s trying to stay in shape but I’ve done enough for a lifetime and don’t want to even look at ruck sacks anymore. Great exercise but it will tear your body down. At least with the packs we used. If you really want to go crazy, we used to borrow barbell plates from the gym to throw in.

1 Like

The recommendation is no more than 25-30% of body weight in the pack.

What soldiers have to do is pretty damaging, even on young bodies. 60-100lbs is more than your spine and hips and knees really want to work with.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I can assure you that the military didn’t go by (or care about) any recommendations like that. Some of the smaller guys were definitely carrying 50-75% of their bodyweight.

1 Like

That’s the difference between what’s required for an infantryman in the field vs. some dork getting exercise.

Anyway, I think it’s good for a cyclist – upright posture rather than bent at the waist, core stability and strength, back strength, bone loading, low impact. Just don’t overdo the weight or overstride.

1 Like

Totally agree it can be a great exercise. It really does hit your entire body and cardiovascular system. I just have no desire to touch one anytime soon.

2 Likes

Not sure about rucking but on most hikes my kids end up on my shoulders

1 Like

Let’s talk about runs in combat boots….:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Try doing with a gas mask. None of this brings good memories.

2 Likes

Let’s talk about runs in combat boots…with a rucksack! Yep, did that for 3 years in ROTC. We’d do 5-7 miles w/ 30-40# rucks at a 10-12 min pace. We were young and fit. And STUPID!

1 Like

Yup!

I’m starting rucking soon!

Looking to buy one of this https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/osprey-poco-lt-2021

I’m starting with 8kg (<10% BW) and increasing it slowly :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I do a lot of hiking carrying my 35-lb toddler or my 20-lb baby. We enjoy it and I like to think it adds some leg strength. The terrain is steep near my house, and the hikes are usually an hour or less. Today I’m hiking with the baby to go watch a cyclocross race! Wish I were racing but should still be fun.

1 Like

Reminds me of my years on a hot shot crew in the Rockies…Carrying a 60 lb pump for hours through the bush is definitely character building!

Brings some memories of the army :hot_face: I’m not an expert ruck marcher. In fact, I’ve failed the time cut a my few times. But I do remember some things we do. Tightening the straps so there’s no play between you and the pack. Tight shoes so there’s no blisters on the feet, and I like to pack the heavier things near the top so it can kinda help me lean in forward. Some folks I know wear two socks in each boot to avoid the dreaded blisters. It’s tough when your combat boots aren’t broken in yet.

I’ve been rucking off and on this past year. Bags with dirt, books, or weight plates (borrowed) or kids on my back and shoulders up a mountain. :grin: Looking to get a dedicated pack, as the pack I have isn’t great. Here’s me carrying three kiddos…only did that for two miles or so, but one of the toughest hikes of my life. Very sore afterwards.

2 Likes