Any GoldenCheetah power users?

Poked around the wiki and source code, is there somewhere to ask questions? Its very basic - why do I have to manually give a workout name? Here is what happens after import:

while the Garmin fit file has a wkt_name

:frowning:

Installed 3.5 and then upgraded to latest stable dev 3.6-rc3.

Seems like GoldenCheetah/src/FileIO/FitRideFile.cpp might be a good place to teach GC how to extract wkt_name and populate into GC database. But my coding skills are weak.

Latest GC looks a LOT better than earlier versions. Some interesting features.

But I canā€™t get past this stupid workout name issue after pulling in the last 3 years of Garmin FIT files. This is such a minor yet severely annoying issue. If I import WKO files (if possible), will that help? I did try importing TP export first.

https://groups.google.com/g/golden-cheetah-users has a good archive and seems active.

I donā€™t know if this solves your problem but when you import from strava all the workouts have names.

1 Like

I think this might be the thread you need in the GC groupā€¦

2 Likes

Sitting in meetings is a good time to multitaskā€¦

Thanks, saw several threads that incorrectly state there is no text field in FIT files that is appropriate:

ā€œThe FIT file importer never set Workout Title field, in fact, there is no text field in FIT files which could be used for that purpose, AFAIK.ā€

The FIT SDK has a Workout message, and that message has a wkt_name. Iā€™ll post to the list at some point and ask.

Strike that, I spent 30 minutes last night and reviewed the FitRideFile.cpp code and FitSDK docs. Instead of starting a random ā€œcould you add this pleaseā€ and pray, Iā€™m going to add a call to decodeWorkoutTitle(def, time_offset, values) at line 2992 in FitRideFile.cpp and then use the other decodeXXX methods as an outline to make my own. After looking at 3 or 4 examples its pretty easy to see how to make my own method. So then Iā€™ll have a method that can read the wkt_title, and can post to the list asking for help on how to write that to GoldenCheetahā€™s workout json or whatever they use.

Problem solved for my own needs, and I can submit a patch and maybe they will add it to GoldenCheetah official release.

4 Likes