Anaerobic capacity level 17 (on Actodectes+1 VO2)?

Just started new plan. 1st workout was Acrodectes+1 - its 1on/1off VO2max. I did the first set as perscribed, 2nd set I opened up a bit and overshot, and same for last set.

On the last group of Intervals it said my anaerobic capacity was 10, then 11, and on up to 17 by the last one.

I grew up racing bmx literally 3+times a week from the time I was 7 till 25. I know I can kill a 1min interval and repeat it.

My questions are:

1. am I really going past VO2max if I can repeat the crap put of it?

2. if Im just blowing past aerobic efforts should I stick to prescribed power to stay on the aerobic side of training.

3. what does an anaerobic capacity level 17 even mean (how can that info be used)?

Fairly new to TR, I am curious where you are seeing anaerobic capacity? I don’t recall seeing that. I focused on more sweet spot and endurance this spring. I feel I need to work on VO2 for what I am looking to do this fall and next spring. Can you tell me where to find that stat?

I might be wrong but if you are able to push hard in those types of efforts. Either FTP is low or all the years of BMX helped build an insane VO2 capacity. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Ha! These are interval names, not levels!

If the workout has 24 Intervals in the Anaerobic Capacity power zone, it labels them “Anaerobic Capacity 1”, “Anaerobic Capacity 2” and so on through to “Anaerobic Capacity 24”

:+1:

4 Likes

Feeling dumb now…

After looking, the workout starts off with 10 VO2s then moves to anaerobic. All clear now - I did the workout right and had no clue why it was stating anaerobic capacity 10, 11… b/c I thought it was a VO2max workout.

All good! Still crushed it so Im happy!

@MTPlanet I’d love to say its a crazy high VO2 but I think its just a genetic gift to produce and convert lactate in an unnatural way. I thought that TR was giving me feedback on my Anaerobic capacity. My highest recorded 1’ was 701 3 years ago at 44yo (would love to have numbers from when I was 22/23!).

2 Likes

wouldn’t we all like to have our youth back in some areas. At 56 It is a challenge some days. But I look at the average person in their mid 50s and know I am ahead of the game. That is till this summer when the 68 yr old crushed me. Just trying to stay fit so I can chase the kids. I am more of an endurance person than sprint and shorter efforts. Going to focus on that this fall and winter just to see what happens.

1 Like

I think you are confusing vo2 max with anaerobic capacity. And given your background your anaerobic capacity will be huge - hence 1 min power (it’s roughly 50% anaerobic and 50% aerobic contribution). Vo2 max is max aerobic power and cannot be assessed by 1min power - rather 5 min power. And given your abilities, 5 min power will still have huge anaerobic part in it. In this situation workous like short-shorts (40/20, 1min/1min etc) will be extremely easy for you if done by percentage of FTP. Try long vo2 max intervals like 5 - 8 min by RPE.

Just wanted to clarify things a little bit and sorry for interrupting topic.

4 Likes

Also, 8 minute intervals where you go hard for, say, 2 minutes and then settle in at 90% of MaxHR for the remaining 6 minutes.

“Settle in” is relative, obvs. :smile:

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback.

Im racing XC in cat 1 and the weakness Im pushing is (likely obviously) aerobic conditioning to recover quicker from anaerobic efforts on the climbs.

Do you think I should swap the shorter duration VO2’s work for longer bouts?

Looking at the short power build plan there’s alot of work there, and the longer VO2’s coming up have so much rest I suspect I’ll be completely recharged and able to compensate for aerobic training?

Perhaps switching to general build would be better?
General build w/ some weekends sub in mtb ride Saturday (replacing anaerobic work), and Sunday road or gravel (modeling sweet spot)?

I’m puzzling to figure out how to boost my aerobic engine and cant do 15-20hrs of Z2 because Im a functional adult w/ family :slight_smile:

This is where my love/hate on TR lies. Im a bit of an outlier and struggle to get aerobic adaptations b/c I can go really deep anaerobically.

I LOVE the concept of AT and how it implements progressive overload without me having to constantly adjust things.

I saw big gains consistently putting down 5-6 hours of endurance riding a week.

1 Like

Basically given your anaerobic capacity I would focus mainly on pure aerobic work. The thing you are looking for is basically Z2 + SST/Threshold work. Given your abilities you only need to maintain anaerobic work and probably your vo2 max is not your limiter at the moment but rather endurance and ability to recover from work over threshold (vo2 and sprint).

If I would suggest something - not build but base work will help you a lot. You do not need 15-20h of Z2, 8-10h weeks done cosistently is plenty for many and can lead to big improvements.

I personally would do 2 days of intensity (threshold or sst - focusing on going longer with progression. As you have anaerobic power you want to go long to minimise the contributions and getting this aerobic engine going. So something like 3x15, 3x20, 4x15, 4x20 etc.) and rest would be Z2 work. If one z2 can be 3h+ - great. It’s nothing spectacular but works. If you want fun on your bike - from time to time just rip vo2 max workout (longer intervals). But focusing on purely aerobic work will help you a lot with recovery from short power efforts. Not to mention that given aerobic contribution your 1min can also improve by doing only aerobic workouts. Your strenght is clear and comes naturally for you, I would address the weakness.

Some fast read about your situation;

And something to listen:

1 Like

This is excellent advice for us anaerobically gifted athletes; be careful with intensity and do lots of z1/z2.

The only plans that I have really made any progress doing is traditional an polarized TR plans. Anything else just kills me.

1 Like

Wow, glad you thought that was helpful enough to save and share! Had forgotten I’d written that!

2 Likes

Local 24 year old racer did similar 5-6 hours a week and it made a difference for him. I’m a lot older, but it worked for me.

Don’t believe everything you read - this 15-20 hours/week that gets thrown around is assuming you are only doing low-intensity (long slow distance).

Experiment, do a lot of steady-state endurance riding and keep some intensity! Its what most/all of the top coaches would have you doing even if you only ride 8 hours/week.

3 Likes

I think i’m gonna just move to high volume SPBuild. Shouldn’t the volume take care of the aerobic component?

We’re just at the beginning of the fall XC season. marathon is late fall/winter and XC is back in Jan.

If I find Im still struggling to hold wheels after big climbs I’ll switch to hv pol and try doing 1 threshold, 1 sweetspot (replace VO2) and see what happens.

In the interim i can pretend I’m on a mx bike for 10seconds at a time.

After the spring season I’ll revisit base, SS &Thresh.

High volume plans are intensity all the time, this is completely different best and, in my personal opinion, those are “not optimal” training plans. Of course try it if you want. I would rather recommend polarized training plans or traditional base 2 and 3. If you want more intensity - low volume plans and add manually z2 work.

1 Like

It looks like you used AI FTP detection a few of days ago, and you saw a nice bump in your FTP! Congrats! :tada: So it looks like you are making progress!

Your Progression Levels will make sure that you are training at your uniquely appropriate level for each zone. The purpose of the recovery intervals during your VO2 Max workouts is to allow you to (although challenging) continuously get into the VO2 Max zone. I wouldn’t try to exceed the prescribed power at the risk of impeding the quality of your VO2 Max work. Keep in mind the goal of each workout and make that a priority.

Going through a Custom Plan, as you are, will ensure that enough attention is given to the training zones specific to your event. Although High Volume Plans are only intended for a small proportion of our athletes, if you have the time and the ability to tolerate that much training load, the High Volume Plan will ensure you make progress in Aerobic Endurance. I suggest you give it a shot and let us know if you have any questions!

1 Like