Amateur doping - rider tests positive for TEN substances

I’m on the same path.

2 Likes

There was an interesting survey in Cycling Weekly a few years ago about doping amongst amateurs: 5% of amateur racers admitted they had doped. There also some info about possible reasons why and responses to other questions. Here’s the article for anyone interested:

@Joe well said, and I’ve been biting my tongue to stop from posting “getting up to pee the 2nd time” on the It’s Just Past 4:00 AM…what are YOU doing? thread :rofl:

6 Likes

I think he was just below the normal range and with supplements he moved to the high end of the normal range

This is the question that will get really interesting as athletic performance and training becomes more scientific and our understanding increases. Are the lower-range athletes just supposed to accept that another group of people who got lucky with genetics have a significant advantage in performance? Especially if there is an easy supplement you can take that would “even the playing table” in testable numbers?

Look at this forum and find all the things people will try anything for the smallest advantages, maximizing carb intake through the perfect ratio, saving a watt with an aero helmet, grams here and there, perfect course recon. As we get further away from the obviously doped-up tours and extreme bodybuilding eras and have a further understanding of the body, managing hormone levels could become pretty mainstream.

1 Like

This probably belongs in the strength training thread, but Erin Carson, S&C coach who trains Ruth Winder, trained Sepp Kuss before he went to Europe, Taylor Knibbs, Tim O’Donnell, a bunch of other top IronMan and cycling athletes etc. talks about “lifting heavy shit” post long training sessions for hormonal balance reasons. Basically, if you do a 4-5hr training ride, and you feel crabby and agitated after, do some heavy hex bar deadlifts or something, and your testosterone, etc. boosts back up, and people’s moods swing dramatically back.

Obviously, these are all clean athletes, but it’s interesting how you can manipulate hormonal responses to training and recovery by adding in certain workouts and triggering different parts of the nervous system. She said these type of workouts are really important for athletes as they get into their later 30s and beyond, even just for a mood reset.

3 Likes

post_deleted

1 Like

It works for her clients and it reads like a who’s who in the endurance world. I’ve never done the blood work to know, and won’t, but it works for me a well.

She has some great podcast interviews on it and her stuff is easy to find online under the ‘EC Fit’ banner. I really like her programming a lot and it’s made me more resilient and ultimately faster because I can train harder without all the nagging pains / aches.

I hate dropping her name in this thread, but the talk about hormonal changes / response ties into it. Instead of manipulating it via supplements, you’re doing it through weight training that is timed around certain endurance workouts.

Obviously weight training has its place for strength work too, but that’s programmed a little differently.