Aerotune on-road metabolic testing

Hi,

[quote=“Kipstrong, post:23, topic:58820”]
Do you need to stay seated for all 3 tests as with inscyd?

I’d think so.

Well, technically you could. But out of sheer practicability I would advise against. But that’s just my opinion.

No.

Don’t know about shorter, like 18 mins.
But longer wouldn’t be a problem. Say you find you started a bit too slow in the first 2 mins but find you could improve and hold a strong effort with a slight emptying the tank for the last 3 mins then I reckon the algorithm will take the max average for 20 mins. Just like any analysis programm (like e.g. GoldenCheetah would do).

1 Like

I contacted Bjorn and had the questions answered.
It’s a really good service.
I can really recommend.

post_deleted

That test protocol looks a lot like The Sufferfest 4DP profile, albeit split across 2 sessions

Day one
2 mins no pedalling
Standing start 10s sprint, seated, no gear changes. I didn’t lap this

15 mins easy

4 mins seated. I lapped it and changed gears.

Day 2

20 mins seated, used gears.

Upload is so simple and data is immediate

1 Like

Also the powerspeeedprofile test. It’s just a way of establishing a power duration curve and critical power.

They’ve dressed it up nicely, but not much different underneath.

1 Like

I was just looking at this as well and wondering if anyone had any feedback - did it produce actionable info that could be directly applied to training eg fatmax pow/HR info for base rides, useful info for planning intervals etc? Obviously interested in any results people think it contributed to as well.

Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks for that clarification! Used the aerotune software first time today and had no clue how to interprete the graphs… Where did you get that information from? Did you ask the guys from aerotune?

One thing I do not understand: Which influence does the “Base” button on the top right of the window have? Is it just the switch for min. and max. times? So, if I turn it off, it just shows the minimal times needed (and not max. AND min. together in one graph)?

Yes, I asked them directly. They are quite approachable.

And in regard to the “Base” button. That one seems quite confusing and superfluous indeed. They should just leave that one out or have it do something more useful. Indeed it just switches between just the optimal minimum stimulus and the optimal maximum hours. Which e.g. could be ridden if you have the time or are in a special base block.

They have another 1 day test, indoor and outdoor.

It’s got a zwift protocol also that you can download

1 Like

Would like to do the aerotune one day indoor test with a custom trainerroad workout. Did anyone already create a custom trainerroad workout similar to the Zwift workout for the indoor test and is willing to share it? Cheers, Jochen

Had a private exchange about this but thought I’d get other input, because I am still not 100% sure I understand what Aerotune is trying to convey in this bar chart

I understand the Athlete 1 versus Athlete 2, same hypothetical scenario as INSYCD uses. I don’t know Blue/teal meaning vs orange bars.

I believe is the number of hours per week per block. Green is general base and orange is the specific zone for the block.

so is it saying each pair of bars would be equal to another set of bars in terms of kJ?

if so demonstrating you need more or less time in zone for equivalent kJ within the given time?

I don’t think so….I haven’t read anything in their model that implies “equal kj” by zones. Where do you get this assumption from?

nowhere. LOL

I’m sort of speculating based on what Björn does with his VO2max tables. I’m still trying to figure out what the “take-home” message is with that particular bar chart.

@Quaestor just glanced up thread and i think this is my answer

1 Like

How did it go?

I started this topic with the intention of giving this a try but I’ve never gotten around to it.

Question: do people think tests like this or Inscyd’s test offer much over WKO5 or any other power duration curve software?

I used to think that knowing VLAmax would be the magic bullet but I’m not so sure anymore.

I don’t think so if you know what you’re doing and what to look for. And I don’t mean just how to use the software. Also, are you willing to “feed the model”.

My INSYCD testing a few years ago taught me a few tricks and things to look for that I hadn’t considered prior to that experience. But I don’t believe additional testing would add anything more to my current workflow.

I might do this anyway because it’s so cheap. Also, a little curious as to what recommendations I would get post test. That’s an area where INSCYD fell short (at least back then)