Adaptive Training - What are adaptations based on?

Thanks Chad and yes those “unrestricted” rides can’t be added soon enough to get accurate AT, without that and Heart Rate based on an individuals Resting/Max then is is just a slighly educated guess.

I think HR based on workouts could give the best indication. Case in point was that I did Pettit the other day and got up to 162 beats a minute and was tired compared to a normal max of around 142.

Are you also sending these to TR support for review?

Hey there, please email support@trainerroad.com with these. I’ve alerted them they were posted here, but it’s helpful to have them specifically tied to your account so we can hunt down the cause. Even if they work themselves out, examining why they happened helps our engineers make sure these things don’t happen again!

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m gonna use this thread as it seems to be kind of a similar topic.

I’ve just had a great VO2 Max session called De Langle. I smashed it without any problem whatsoever and I even raised to 110% before the last interval as I felt that I had so much more to give. I rated the workout as Moderate.

I expected adaptations to show up so I checked and I was surprised to see that some of the sweet spot workouts went from 7.8 to 2.9 and similar. Why is that? What is the logic behind it? I expected the workouts to be more difficult as I am training for an A event (stage race), not easier.

To be fair, some VO2 Max workouts were adapted to a little bit more difficult workouts. But still. Am I missing something?

Best protocol for stuff like this is to check in with support@trainerroad.com. They have the best insight into your Progression Levels and Adaptations, as they have visibility to the full scope of your training plans, prior workouts, FTP history, etc.

That said, this whole thread is tricky and maybe not productive in that there’s a lot of athlete-to-athlete speculation without the full context of workout/FTP/Adaptation history for each case.

The Support team knows best! Feel free to reach out, they’ll be happy to take a look and make any changes/fixes if needed.

4 Likes