AC Joint Separation & approach to training log

Thought I would write another short update.

I’ve been to PT three times and I saw my orthopedist this morning. I’ve been doing the PT exercises on my own as well.

Right now, I can do all the stretch band exercises comfortably. I can do kettlebell swings with an 8kg bell (I also own a 16 and a 24, I haven’t tried those yet). I can do overhead press with 10 lbs, I haven’t tried more yet. I find there is nothing in my normal life I can’t do.

The orthopedist says that my range of motion is 100% or very close to. No follow ups required. He stated that at this point, surgery would just be cosmetic and not return any strength/ability. He also stated that the failure rate for these AC separation surgeries is around 20%, much higher than ACL repairs. He described that the follow up after a failure is worse and that if I don’t mind the bump, I shouldn’t pursue surgery. My orthopedist wrote the Rx for PT for 12 weeks, but stated that I could basically stop whenever I want. I’m sure the PT would have something to say about that!! I’m intending to continue going for a while, I’d like to feel stronger and more comfortable before I consider stopping.

As far as I understand, I’m recovering really well and I feel lucky that the injury wasn’t worse and that things are going well.

1 Like