Absence of FTP Assessments in Specialty Phase

I can’t be the only one who can estimate my FTP to within a couple of % just by doing a few TR rides? You know when VO2 feels too easy or “sweetspot” should be threshold.

I don’t do a lot of ramp tests, at this stage I only do them when I know I will get a nice bump and I want to feel good about myself… But I pretty much know the outcome before I start.

1 Like

you are not alone

I think we’re in broad agreement.

I suggest putting up a poll in a new thread, I would be truly surprised if there were many seeing a 5%+ change midway through speciality. But I could be wrong and either way it would be interesting to see :slight_smile:

I saw a huge jump at the beginning of speciality followed by the troubles that led me to scheduling my own retest. Essentially I peaked too soon and at the end of Build. :cry:

2 Likes

What about when you get a bike fit during build and lose 25 watts on next test? Fast forward to week 5 of specialty and it feel like like my FTP is coming back quickly after my body has learned to push hard in new position. I have Leadville in 4 weeks and don’t want to set my IF/NP wrong when I could have gone harder. So should I squeeze in a ramp test at end of this week since it is recovery week? Should I allow the bump in FTP adjust the rest of my workouts? Or deny the bump and keep workouts on old ftp and just know I can go harder in race with higher IF/NP?

Have you got any history via TrainingPeaks or Intervals ICU that would allow you to compare past Ramp Test scores with eFTP or 20min power from the same time?

I’d personally work a way of benchmarking your FTP via an upcoming workout. You’re entering the final stages and would be better served reducing fatigue than overreaching this close.

If you can establish your abilities via a workout you’ll at least know if pacing is going to be significantly off.

Interesting point and one which I’ve been pondering (in last few weeks of build phase). As someone who doesn’t have an event upcoming and whose primary goal is to build FTP, surely the recommendation is start over at base phase?