AACC Podcast Feedback!

They used to be 60-70 mins on podcast services, but would be longer on YouTube due to q&a that was not recorded at the end. Then they started ending the podcast officially, but recording q&a at the end and posting the whole thing on podcast services, which could take it far over that. At some point, maybe a year before Covid (?), the podcast just became the full 2 hours or more, without the official “break” into q&a. In comparison, yesterdays hour long (70 mins) podcast was almost entirely q&a. Did I get that about right @Jonathan ?

1 Like

Partially.

Adding in the live YT Q&A did not extend the podcast from 1-2hrs, but rather, the podcast has followed listener feedback and just grown in duration over time. We never had a “make it an hour. Now make it two” event or focus.

6 Likes

I prefer the 2 hour episodes. The shorter episode seemed rushed to try to cram the content into a 1 hour limit.

4 Likes

Duration doesn’t matter to me, because chapter support in Overcast podcast app is working well:

IMG_0220

Thanks for adding chapter support!!!

8 Likes

I enjoy following along with what is going on in the lives/careers of the hosts. While I find some of the podcast very informative, I also listen to it on my commute to work so

1 Like

In that regard, it used to be frustrating when the old episodes cut off when they did the live questions. I found those episodes too short. Though it was a very entertaining period while the three original hosts were knee deep in regular racing and competing.

I think 90min is fine (though I am actually getting used to the idea of two 60-70min ones) and agree that it’s all in the energy and banter.

The growth to two hours recently with fewer much deeper dives has been a bit dry but I think mostly forced/a happenstance of the pandemic and no racing.

1 Like

Less is more :+1:

1 Like

Didn’t like the trial, felt it was the same amount of cycling content but the best bits were cut out, I might be alone but I zone out on a Chad deep dive, I want the take always which are normally the bits bracketed by ‘I’ve no science for this’

6 Likes

I personally wouldn’t want to miss out on the deep dives from Chad or Amber in particular for the sake of a time format. Equally the really personal stuff that is occasionally part of the format makes it feel like more than just “information” (eg alex when he spoke about grief, Jonathan’s knee etc).

I do use the podcast to get faster (but probably moreso to sound faster to other cyclists and triathletes), but it’s more than that - it’s putting a story to the software and makes me as a TR customer feel more “part of something “ beyond the workout schedule.

Love what you guys do.

4 Likes

Not alone. Deep dives are way too deep for me. I typically zone out or skip it. Though I wouldn’t want them left out. I usually come back around for the takeaway and appreciate that.

3 Likes

Who doesn’t want to hear about snail thermoregulation and whether they would be better off in a merino base later! @ambermalika

Go long or go home

5 Likes

New to TR and the podcasts. Been working my way though the older episodes. I like the older episodes with the more in depth or deep dives. One thought would be 60-75 mins more topic based similar to the older ones. Then a second release later in the week or weekend with focus on say racing tactics or equipment focus. BTW 7 stars! oh wait…

Great job love the value of the TR product, the podcasts have been so helpful and entertaining.

1 Like

I second that the deep dives could be saved for the science of getting faster.

3 Likes

Simple split show and deep dive.
2 podcasts.

2 Likes

Hi. I listened to the first one hour format show. A little context will help. I normally listen to the show in the car for a 2 1/2 hr commute that I make once a week. So I’m not as jammed as some might be about time. And I do listen to alot of other non cycling podcasts. I rarely listen on the trainer.

I do use the 30s advance ALOT though - some subjects are not of interest too me, I usually skip through the the hi-how are yous, and when I think you are together or individually starting to wax expert in areas you clearly are not

However, overall I am a fan, and like the podcast, and have learned alot.

But - a two hour podcast is a big commitment to make for you and to listen to. And it invites distraction/lack of focus/personal stories. So I’m in favour of discipline and a 1h or maybe a bit longer show. Perhaps more frequently but not necessarily. I think focus will help the quality of the podcast.

Just as a last comment, the focus, flow, efficiency, and quality does seem to change alot depending on cast

1 Like

I have always liked them, I’ve listened to every single one. Seems like no reason to change a thing!

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time each week to research and present the podcast. I enjoy listening to AACC during my indoor training sessions. Currently, that’s 3 1/2 to 4 hrs/ wk. Your time each week is limited, so please spent that time forwarding the TR mission, whatever that activity needs to be. Your listening audience knows what they want but, possibly, not what’s best for TR the company. Also, I love the adaptive training!

4 Likes

As an OG podcast listener my advice is don’t fix what’s not broken. The banter, digs and laughter in b/w the “serious” stuff is great. I still remember when Coach Chad told Nate “you will never beat me.” :rofl::rofl::rofl: We all know what they say about saying “never” I remember Jonathan cutting his hair and Nate’s plethora of medical ailments as a former Tuba player.

All to say, keep on truckin.

13 Likes

@Jonathan and @IvyAudrain are already training to rip the legs off the #tahoetrail100. Let the $#!t talk commence :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

I’ve been listening since 2017 and followed most of the episodes prior to that.

The Q&A format vibes well with me. What I really missed from the old (early) podcasts was how extremely concise they were. One clear question, a VERY well thought though and clear answer. Bam, done.
This is different than the talk show format where we cycle around a topic again and again.

I like the personal sides / comments in the podcast too. I loved following Nate’s training journey. The bashing between the hosts before challenges. Chads love for beer.

The duration doesn’t matter, if it’s shorter I can listed to a few after each other if I want to.

4 Likes