2021 XC Bike Thread

What kind of riding are you planning to do?

If you want to ride single track, you’ll need a MTB. Riding single track on a gravel bike is just painful - despite the promotional videos you see of people doing it.

If you want to be able to ride gravel, including some gnarlier forest roads in the mountains, you’ll want a gravel bike that can fit 40mm+ tires.

4 Likes

My current gravel setup is a Topstone 105 with 40s which has done relatively well on pretty much any gravel here. We get some pretty thick stuff and it holds well. It’s obviously heavier compared to a carbon upgrade for riding in somewhere with more elevation gain.

As for what I plan, probably gravel/dirt/fire roads, some single track, really just nothing SUPER technical.

Your current gravel bike seems pretty good. So does not seem to be a “need” to upgrade.

If you want to expand into riding singletrack, it is worth getting a MTB. HT will be cheaper, but if you have the $, I think worth getting full sus - a lot more comfortable and forgiving. Also, there’s a ton of great MTB trails in Colorado to ride.

6 Likes

I looked closer at everything and it made very minimal contact in an area about the size of a pin head. Easy fix was to just remove the handle from the Kickr. Three small bolts and no clearance issues anymore.

Ready for 2021. Only thing I changed is dismissing the dropper post. image

4 Likes

I’ll never ride an MTB without a dropper again. If push came to shove, I would probably trade suspension for dropper.

4 Likes

Agree!!

Single speed rigid with a dropper is a fast af setup

1 Like

I’m building a rigid drop bar MTB (or whatever: closer to old school XC geo but longer) right now. Dropper is a must for sure!! Not single speed though, I want to use this on steep stuff.

Wanted to circle back on this. The quote above is from me 20 days ago. But today I got an email from the same SC dealer (local LBS owner):

Hey Colin, I just received confirmation that there will be a new Blur this late Spring/early Summer. I know nothing about it except that it's new and has 2 wheels, one in the front and one in the back. I don't know what size those wheels are but I'm hopeful that they are at least round. They said we'll get more specific info in late March.

8 Likes

Huge if true!

2 Likes

That the wheels are round? Or that there’s two?!?

:joy::joy:

Considering that everyone at my work calls our utility tricycles “bikes”, that is a genuine question.

That’s an entertaining response, I would buy a bike from this person.

6 Likes

It’s a good shop for sure, low key and fun. Always happy to give them some pub, especially in times like these.

6 Likes

Oh man I didn’t even know how heavy they actually were.

New rear wheel only with lighter cassette and tire installed is 750g lighter than stock. Good lord that rear wheel is a tank.

1 Like

Just gonna put this one here: First Look: 2021 Trek E-Caliber - A Motorized XC Machine - Pinkbike

4 Likes

On the one hand, this is so strange.

On the other hand, I kinda want to race a a bunch of other people with motorized XC rigs just to see what could be possible course wise.

Van Der Poel on one of these basically has a 700w FTP

1 Like

I think it’s going to sell like crazy in Europe. Also, I couldn’t help myself and read the Pinkbike comments. My god.

Imagine the distances you could cover!

1 Like