2020 XC Bike Thread

This may seem like a silly question with an obvious answer, but how does do you open/lock the fork &shocks with just the one paddle?

Both the front fork and rear shock wire runs into the same lever on the Drop Lock. You press the lever and it locks and unlocks both the front fork and rear shock at the same time. The other lever controls the dropper post.

I tried the Grip Twist Lock first and couldn’t stand it. It was extremely uncomfortable.

1 Like

Interesting you say that, some reviews of the rockshox twist remote say the opposite. I’ve never had anything grip shift etc, they used to be touted as being incredibly unreliable with shifters. However I like the fact that it’s one less lever on the bars.
For my next bike I’m trying to decide if I want a lockout or not. My current bike (Scott Spark 935), requires one and I like the three modes, I don’t like the birds nest at the front though. I hoping that if I go with either the Norco Revolver FS120 or Spec Epic EVO I won’t require one… Very hard to demo either of these in Adelaide AUS atm. Zero stock and COVID making things hard. Specalized are already taking orders for 2022 bikes.

is it a bulky at it seems in photos?

No, the Bontrager Drop Lock is not bulky. It works great.

2 Likes

I’m used to ESI grips, which are soft. The Rock Shox Twist Loc is hard and rubbed my hand raw. I used it for 3 days of riding and then replaced it.

I’m running Enve’s carbon stem which I love but this would be nice to try at half the cost…

How did you go?

New, Merida Ninety Six for next year.

Threaded bottom bracket :+1:

3 Likes

The trails were too muddy and then it snowed. Really sucks buying a new bike in November haha, but I have taken it on a couple of townie trail rides. It feels great, it fits me really well and the geometry is plenty progressive for me coming from a more traditional XC bike (70 deg to 67.2 on the Scott). It climbs great but definitely relies heavily on the lockout or middle position climbing fully open very noticeable pedal bop. But still waiting for some single track to truly set it up.

IMG_5021

5 Likes

Thanks for the great right up. Do you think the pedaling dynamics (with the traction mode engaged) are good enough so far for your XC racing etc?

I missed out on the 2021 Spark I had lined up as I delayed too much. There’s a second hand (but very few uses) 2020 model same as yours currently for sale. Your bike looks really sharp in the light compared to the pictures I’ve seen so far indoors.

It’s definitely great for XC racing the traction mode is great, I still need to play around with the pressure for the open mode but need a good downhill for that.

Basically, I am used to leaving a shock in open mode and going, while the spark is designed to use the twinloc. You get the best of both worlds with a progressive suspension that sits lower in open mode and increases the dampening while sitting higher in the traction mode. This is perfect for racing, especially marathon type races I want to do with this bike. I just need more time on the bike to practice with it where I am going from open to traction throughout the ride.

1 Like

Thanks. Sounds like a perfect bike for me too.

Thinking about getting a power meter for my 2019 Epic. They do not make it easy to figure out what you need. Based on what I could find, I’d need to either buy a quarq power meter then a separate crank or other option is buy a new left arm then go 4iii.

Assuming your current cranks have the 3 bolt chainring mounting pattern then you could get a Power2Max NGeco. I think they’re ~$590 and you wouldn’t have to buy new crank arms. I have one on my MTB and it was super easy to setup and other than replacing the battery and the occasional SW update I haven’t touched it.

That doesn’t seem like a bad deal. Just a little bit more than I want to spend

1 Like

Yeah it’s not cheap but my cranks didn’t have an available 4iiii or Stages L arm so it was probably the cheapest whole package.

1 Like

Wondering what you all would say is the closest alternative to an Epic Evo?

I’m pretty much sold on the new Epic Evo but my shop has no idea when they might be able to get one, and I’m certainly not wedded to Specialized. But the weight, geometry and suspension is exactly what I’m in the market for.

For alternatives, my preference is no shock/fork lockout on the bars, threaded BB, comparable geometry and travel, and ideally still a nice light frame (obviously won’t be Epic Evo light of course). A small company with a good warranty is a plus, direct to consumer OK/maybe even ideal. Thanks!

Orbea Oiz TR?

2 Likes

Thanks, I hadn’t given Orbea a good look yet. But the geo isn’t quite what I’m looking for (446mm reach and 68* head angle in large), and I’m trying to avoid the fiddle factor of remote lockout. Also PF but I’m totally OK with that now that I think about it. The BB is one of the only parts I don’t already have (so frame only or a reasonably priced base spec is also key).

1 Like