2020 XC Bike Thread

Had an 18 Epic Sworks. Very challenging. Have to send it back to Utah every time for a rebuild and I had mine go down 3 times in one year. Some local shops have the equipment but very rare. I hope the new version of Brain is more durable.

I feel your pain but wasn’t the rattler in Nov this year when it is normally in April? I am sure you know and have considered this but speed changes massively on MTB tracks depending on conditions. Maybe look at this but cross reference it with your position and how other riders that raced both times compared with you.

I was looking at a config with DT 240 hubs and the price/weight was indeed impressive, but then I saw the width… it’s not 27mm internal, but only 22mm (27 is the external width). Not sure I would buy a new xc set <25mm … I think for XC, somewhere between 25 and 30mm is the sweetspot, go for the 25 if you want lightweight, go for the 30mm if you are heavier, want to run 2.4" or ride rougher terrain. (or somehwere in the middle). I’m still very happy with my 26.5mm chinese rims :slight_smile:

1 Like

They have a wider option too with 25mm internal width and 30+ for their AM wheels. I have no affiliation with them and don’t own them myself so other than one rave review from a very fast XC racer, that’s all I can offer :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, valid point. I live an hour from the venue so I have a lot of pre-ride data for both races as well. I’m trying to narrow it down to show some good apples to apples comparisons or at least the data that I was seeing that appeared very convincing from my POV. Comparing to other riders is smart as well, I will look into that :+1:t4:

I have the Nobl rims which are from the same factory. I built them up in 2017 and have raced them since across a ton of events and they have been fantastic. I’ve trued them once or twice but otherwise they’ve held perfect tension, but maybe that’s just my wheelbuilding skill :laughing:

I’ve also had other Light Bicycle rims and they’ve been stellar.

1 Like

I spent a PTO day doing a 3+ hour ride, and my hands/wrists going numb was a major issue. I was a professional mechanic for years so my carpal tunnel flares up, and it got to the point where I had to stop on the trail in order to get numbness out of my hands. Is the fix carbon bars and foam grips, or is it more of a bike fit thing?

Thanks!

I’ve fitted ODI foam grips and use Fox Ranger Gel gloves which helps.

Could be a number of different things. My anecdote: I was getting numbness in digits #3.5, #4, and #5 on rides any longer than about 20 mins. Switched to narrower handlebars and it fixed it immediately. Just an example that it could be anything

Have you tried TOGS?

1 Like

I love my TOGs, use them on the trail and the trainer!

1 Like

Definitely a number of factors to look at.

1. Bike fit. How much weight is on your hands? If a lot, may want to raise stem slightly and see if it helps. A riser bar vs a flat bar would make a difference here as we. Bar width. Are your hands feeling neutral and comfortable, or is there stress on your wrists from being bent? Getting an experience mountain bike fitter to look at you would be the ideal solution.

2. Bar. Once fit dialed, the bar material can make a difference especially if you are getting pains with repeat impacts. I had issues using a very stiff Kovee XXX bar and noticed a big difference switching to an Enve flat XC bar.

3. Gloves. If you have a history of carpel tunnel, you may want to take a look at Specialized Grail gloves. They come in a long finger version. They were designed by a hand surgeon and help with even distribution of pressure on your hand and improve circulation. They have worked well for me for XC riding. Interestingly on my gravel bike they weren’t good as my contact points are quite different.

1. Grips. So many different ways to go here. A lot of personal preference. I like a soft foam grip like the F-1 Vapors. For XC riding some people swear by the Ergon’s but others seem to swear at them… It seems SQLabs is doing some interesting things with all their equipment and really trying to put some science behind their designs. May be worth a look. Hand | Pressure on the hands while cycling | SQlab Grips ✓Comfortable ✓ Relieving

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks, this helps a lot. I appreciate it.

Does anybody have any recommendations for or against the 2021 Scott Spark (with fork tuned to 120mm) as my main bike for XC and XCM? I can’t demo one and am close to pulling the trigger on a deal on one, but I’d hate to regret it as I won’t be buying another bike before the kids leave home in 15 years :grimacing:.

Also, are there any dropper/lockout levers that have all the levers under the handle bar? Dangerholm had a fancy one that did everything from just two levers, but I imagine that’s custom and spendy!

1 Like
5 Likes

I have the DropLock on my bike and really like it

3 Likes

Great looking bike :+1:

1 Like

If you want some PM me. I’ll send them to you free of charge. DIdn’t do it for me - but I selected the carbon ones. Anyway they are free if you want them.

The Dangerholm one was a hack where there is a one → two cable splitter inside the down tube (It’s on his insta somewhere). It all for looks because you have to lock then unlock the rear shock to drop your post which is definitely not worth it in my opinion.

The twinloc that comes with the Scott is a three-position lockout (open, firm, lockout) the Bontrager remote is just a two position.

Orbea also makes a three-position but is very similar to the twinloc system.

I just got a 2020 Spark for a good deal, I am riding it this weekend for the first time and I will give an update.

3 Likes

Fantastic thanks!