2020 XC Bike Thread

For those on the new Blur, what pressure are you running to get the recommended 25-28% sag? All the reviews said the pressure charts are spot on, but for me, right at 200 lbs, I’m not getting anywhere close to 9-10 mm sag on the shock at even 25 psi below the recommended 250 psi setting for my weight.

Just found this video

Weight of the C frame in medium 2,386 grams with shock and thru axle. Actually slighlty lighter than I thought.

2 Likes

I’ve just been looking at the Scott Spark and Spark RC specs again. Am I right in thinking the 130mm Fox 34 could be converted to 120mm (cheaply)? And if so, would that bring the HTA from ~67 to ~68?

Here’s my trusty Scott Spark RC.
Recently upgraded to sram xx1 axs and carbon (9th wave) wheels.
I’d like to change the Brand X dropper to a Bikeyoke for some weight saving. Such a joy to ride!!!

6 Likes

Not sure on conversion of the Fox 34 to 120mm, but I’m fairly certain a change in 10mm of fork travel is only going to change the HTA about 0.5 degree.

2 Likes

You’re changing the angles in the wrong direction bruh, I kid I kid.

They didn’t update the geo charts this year with the new 130 mm 34s so I think the geo listed is actually the old spec with the 120 34 SCs.

Oh, so it must be proper trail bike slack.

I know what you mean about angles etc, but I really want my next bike to still to be racey/pedally. I just need a bit more capability for the park days.

Really the Trek Top Fuel is the best for me on paper. I just way prefer the Scott specs/Shimano builds. Plus potentially better price points for me.

XC brothers and sisters: what is your view on eggbeaters vs. SPDs?

Technically this IS a 2020 XC bike question. I bought my new bike and am excitedly waiting delivery. Until then, i’m trying to figure out whether to buy a powermeter, what powermeter to buy, etc., and the SRM MTB pedal-based unit is pretty tempting. It’s not hte cheapest but it could be used on any number of bikes. New XC bike, trail bike if i felt like it, etc., whatever i want! Awesome, right?

But, I’d have to switch to SPDs (from eggbeaters). Haven’t used SPDs in over 15 years. What pedals are most people slapping on their new rigs???

One main thread on pedals with many mentioned:

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

I have a bespoke hard tail Ti from Travers Bikes (UK).
Feels so versatile and resilient…

1 Like

That’s good to know. I had a bit of an impulse buy after watching Evie Richards ride to victory on the short track. At 5.3" (female) I’m used to riding 650B, but there is not much choice in xc MTB with that wheel size any more.
It’s due for delivery in January and I’m hoping for birthday and Xmas upgrades, including a 65mm crankset. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Mine should be with me within a month time. The shop is switching my cranks over to 170mm (actually putting a Rotor InPower on). They have given me £160 credit for the GX cranks.

Also getting an reverb AXS on. Can’t wait.

2 Likes

That’s fantastic. I think you are going to love it. The bike surprises me everytime I ride it on how “fun” it feels.

Evie Richards was so great in that race. She is going to be a fun rider to watch in the seasons to come. Probably needs to ditch those Bontrager tires though so she doesn’t crash in that 180 degree turn on tarmac… :joy:

2 Likes

I will be swapping some things, like the crank set as soon as it arrives. I’ll be sure to post the new set up :smiley:
I should probably read the tyre thread…

Where are the extra wide XC wheelsets?

I hear every world cup about how riders are going up to 30mm, but it seems like DT Swiss is the only major brand with options over 25mm. A few random chinese carbon rims sure, but it is interesting that otherwise it doesn’t seem to exist.

Bontrager offers the Kovee XXX which is 29mm and XC lite at 1300g for the set.

2 Likes

I think Bontrager has one, and Industry Nine’s XC wheelset is now 28mm.

1 Like

I ran crank brothers pedals exclusively when I first got into the sport but after they left me pushing my bike out of the woods - complete spindle failure, scary. I switched to some XTR SPDs and have never looked back. The only benefit to running egg beaters is weight, and IMO that’s not an area to save on it. Plenty of egg beater fans still, I ride with several people who still love them, so this is just my experience.

1 Like

okay well it sounds like at worst, one is just as good as the other. I agree that the weight savings in any one individual component like this are not going to be material