2020 Giro d'Italia Discussion

Definitely a great stage today…refreshing change from the now-standard “wait for the last 350m to try and nip a few seconds”.

Almeida did the jersey proud today. If the weather gods smile on him, he could still pull this off.

Not certain Kellermann can pull this off…I’d honestly say this is anyone’s race in the top 5. Any of these guys could blow and lose tons of time.

Should be a great week ahead :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

Pink shades of Voeckler.

1 Like

Rest days suck.

4 Likes

I believe the riders disagree, lol

3 Likes

Really proud of João Almeida. Many riders in his position would have lost the pink on sunday but he went deep in pain hanging on by himself while the trio in front was going away. I can see him finishing top 5 or at the podium but with sunweb having two cards to play and now ineos also having a GC contender it will be very hard without excelente teammates to keep the pink. Lets see how it goes. Nevertheless Almeida has already got my RESPECT! :clap:

1 Like

Guess he’s not so great at avoiding the virus :sweat_smile:

I bet he will test negative tomorrow, like Matthews.

If that test is accurate, that is obviously discouraging news. While still infinitesimally small, there are increased reports of people getting the virus twice.

Not what we need if we are gonna move past this thing…whatever vaccine gets developed, it may turn out to be a yearly, or even semi-yearly, treatment.

1 Like

This finish from João Almeida, attacking in that climb in the end of the stage and gaining a couple of seconds from his rivals, is his way of saying he’s not kidding around.

3 Likes

I still worry that Almeida had to go so deep on Stage 15, that he will pay for it later. No doubt the kid has a great punch though.

2 Likes

He showed no signs of struggling today, on the contrary. He said he was feeling good and that’s why he attacked.

Stage 15 was hard, yes, but it was hard on everyone. He was 4th on the stage, only being dropped in the final 7 km, and I think he paced the effort well, managing to not blow up doing that final climb alone.

2 Likes

Hardest stage of the year today. I think this will decide the Giro.

What gorgeous scenery and ambience: the leaves turning; snow-capped mountains; Alpine (:eyes:) switchbacks.

Even the Vuelta looks nicer in October.

More autumnal racing plz.

Agree, we need more world tours in the autumn

I don’t think the riders agree. Look at the weather last week.

2 Likes

Great piece of advertisement for the Sunweb jackets there :eyes:

2 Likes

Quick question, now that disc brakes are used by a lot of teams why cant the riders using disc brakes drop the riders that are not using disc brakes on the descents?

I was under the impression disc brakes worked better than rim brakes so in theory the disc brake bike riders should be able to brake later into the corners, or is this only when rain is added into the equation?

Not as simple as disc vs not disc. A lot have to do with decenting skills. Eg look a Bilbao and Fuglsang. Fulgsang is master bike handler and they have taken 20 odd seconds on the front group.

2 Likes

I couldn’t’ take my eyes off that flappy jacket! Why don’t they have gabba or similar jackets? It looks like Sunweb just has nylon wind jackets.

Who knew that Rohan Dennis could climb like that! He is really earning his keep today. We’ll see if Geoghan Hart can finish it off!

2 Likes

I can only assume it is because Kelderman is leaving Sunweb, that they did not send Hindley back to help him

Either that or he had radioed in that he was having a bad day, so Hindley would be a better bet.