2019 MTB Marathon USAC Nationals

Must have been just some of the age groups. Although not a huge amount for a country the size of the US.

1 Like

Hello All! I did read about this a while back and am trying to find out the date for 2020. Has it been announced? I have researched the USAC website but have not found anything. I lived in Lubbock while getting my Master’s and Ph.D. Palo Duro is nice! Would be a great reason to come back but I would love to learn more about the event first (such as the dates and the course map). Anybody here, besides @Hoverp can share some of the experience?

@sonjap my guess is that they won’t post the date until next year. It seems like USAC is very slow to post their plans of races. We do know that it will for sure be at PDC again and will be the same weekend or very close to it. They had originally picked a different weekend that conflicted with an Epic Rides event and then moved it, so I assume they will probably be trying to keep the same weekend as the 2019 race.

This page will show you the course map for 2019, it will probably be pretty close for 2020 if not the same: 2019 USA Cycling Marathon Mountain Bike National… | USA Cycling

I have to admit that I went this year and even though I followed my TR plan very close in the winter, the 2 months leading up to the race became a lot less structured and I suffered really bad on lap 2. It was a lot harder than I expected, but looking forward to hitting it again in 2020 and doing better!

1 Like

Thanks for this information @cbrink!

Wow. USAC completely changed it up. 2020 MTB Marathon Nats are Sept 12!

1 Like

That’s usually pretty good weather here, there is the chance of it being hot in the canyon in September but not a bad time of year generally.

There’s another MTB marathon event in Palo Duro not this weekend but the next, I believe, if anyone wants to see the park. I doubt it’s the exact same course but anything that long will cover most of the same trails in one direction or another.

Interesting! I wonder why… anybody have any insights?

I think that’s a pretty bad decision to do this in Sept in Texas. I guess one positive is the flatlanders will have an advantage against those coming from altitude and cooler temps.

I heard that PDC got a new Lead Park Ranger and they were not as accomodating of bike races as in times past. I bet that had something to do with it.

I raced this years Nats in PD Park in May and we ended up not doing the course any good…the weather kind of got us in a muddy situation and I think the course took a bit of a beating. There were days of practice cancelled due to rain.