12 speed crankset with 10 speed FD/RD/cassette

I have a Cannondale SuperX that I bought used as a back up gravel bike. It has a 10 speed SRAM Rival 1x that I want to switch to 2x. I found a 12 speed SRAM Rival crankset. Are the two going to play nice together?

Should do. I put an Ultegra 11sp 2x crank on my last bike which had 10sp cassette/ derailleurs. It probably doesn’t make a difference but I was running it all with an 11sp chain. Ironically I was forced to run my 11sp bike (deraileurs, cassette, etc) with a 10spd crank temporarily when my crank failed last year due the problem that sh1tmano says doesn’t exist, and that ran fine too. AFAIK the inside of all bike chains are the same dimensions and its just the side plates that have got thinner to allow a tighter cassette with more gears.

1 Like

The difficulty here is/may be that SRAM 12sp road chainrings are specifically designed to run with flat top chains. You may run into difficulties running a conventional chain, especially a 10/11sp one, which is both a different shape and wider than the 12sp design.
The only way to know definitively, though, is to try it.

1 Like