Zone 2 training. Power vs heartrate

Does it also mean that once decoupling for certain duration (3h for example) reaches near 0%, it is time to:

1. reassess FTP,
  2. increase duration or
  3. increase intensity?

While (3) looks like (1) is needed, it is not always the case: did ramp test 2 weeks ago and have done 2x 4hr (IF=0.68) rides weekly since then but HR remains same during first 3 hours. So, hope is that final hour is still driving adaptions for remaining training phase. Or if it does not, add some Z3 intervals into long Z2 ride?

According to Coggan, the typical IF for a level 2 ride is 0.75-0.85.

He asked about what he thought was an apparent discrepancy between his heart rate and power data. My point was that there doesn’t seem to be any. Both indicate that he did a level 2 endurance workout.

I only paid attention to hr on the may 10 ride. On the may 16 ride I mainly paid attention to power. Quite frustrating how slow at times and what gears needed to use to stay in zones. Had a tailwind going out and a headwind coming back. Thinking I’ll do all my training/ zone 2 rides on trainer and outside I’ll just do the best I can and have fun while reasonably trying to stay with zones. But prioritize fun over zone?? I’m sure once I get used to it zone 2 will become more fun outside.

That’s exactly what it required. Quite frustrating. So much easier on trainer.

Enjoying the ride. May 10 was just concerned with power. May 16 looking at hr and power. I feel a little worn out after yesterday. Tried the trainer road scheduled workout inside last night and bailed a little while into it. I will do the indoor workout today properly and then rest until ramp test Tuesday. On wednesday I’ll start commuting to work again. It’s around 15 minutes to 30 minutes each way(gravel bike vs fatbike) I zone 2 heart rate as I dont have a power meter on those bikes. Like the tr crew I may add Coliseum-3 to some days riding for more volume. Like everyone else all of my gravel races have been canceled so I’m just trying to get fit and lose that extra 40-50 lbs still.

Seems like you learned how not to do an outdoor level 2 ride, then.

That would be a level 2 ride.

1 Like

So no comparison can be made at all ,…

1. Power source is different, Comparing eggs with oranges!
  2. Indoor and outdoor FTP is normally different, due to thermo-regualtion issues, riding position changes etc.
  3. It takes practise to follow structured training outside (which one can learn amazing quickly), pick the right route / roads for the session, have the correct gears, don’t spike power, stay disciplined.
1 Like

So you say that you prefer your alternative facts to the actual facts?

My question was what are they based on, not what are you using, although that is helpful. :wink:

That is exactly what I do, rightly or wrongly. Be it Z2, Z4, Z5 etc.

even on a rolling ride, power and hr should be flat. this was 70 miles with 4000ft of elevation gain on rolling hills.

steep hills, ok, then all bets are off. Ride by feel, and keep the HR line flat.

1 Like

I do… as that is how you pace non draft legal time trials. Once you get in to mass start racing, there’s a definite advantage to ditch the steady effort.

What you do depends on a few things. During early base I’m not expecting to see an increase in FTP. My target events are 7-10 hours, and therefore I usually increase duration out to ~5 hours. In addition increasing intensity to tempo / zone3 rides at low cadence can drive aerobic adaptations in Type IIa fast-twitch (fast glycolytic oxidative).

1 Like

I did a max heart rate test. It came out at 174. Then I forced maf in there at 129.

Looks like you didn’t have any intersections either.

ride out in the country with either all right turns, or traffic-free intersections.

2 Likes

Cool, thank you. I’ll swap 2x Longfellow for Mount Blackburn and Mianzimu then.

I’ve got a 4km loop about 5min from my house I use when I want to bang out some uninterrupted work. Nice scenery and smooth roads but boring as heck about 1/4 of the way into the ride. Gotta do what ya gotta do!

1 Like