ZIPP new wheel release imminent!

To what extent would you say, that no wheel can compete to Alpinist CLX?

These are newer, wider, faster, (insert marketing claim here). Haven’t used them but been super happy with my circa 2015 Aeolus wheels and I’ve heard good things about the RSL37 and the outgoing XXX2/4/6 line so I’m sure these will be great too

1 Like

My N=1 experience with Zipp hookless so far has been good. Can get tires on and off without levers which has very rarely been the case with tubed or at least not with Conti GP 4000 or 5000. Had one puncture that hasn’t sealed so far, and just stuck a tube in there. So seems best case is reduced chance of punctures as some will hopefully seal and you’ve eliminated pinch punctures. Worst case is putting in a tube which is no worse than it would be with a tubed tire apart from the sealant mess. Even the sealant mess isn’t as bad as I thought it would be - gives a good photo opp to any friends you’re riding with, but it dries out and peels off easily enough.

Not sure lack of tire choice is really much of an issue. There’s enough to choose from, and the ones I’ve tried so far (Pirelli and Schwalbe) seem decent. If hookless sticks around then would expect choice to increase. Guess the issue will be if wheel manufacturers decide hookless isn’t the way forward and adopt a different standard instead, in which case tire manufacturers would follow suit and at some point you’re left with wheels you can’t buy tires for with no resale value. Hopefully with ETRTO standard updated to include hookless and manufacturers as big as Zipp (=SRAM), Cadex (=Giant) and Enve apparently betting on hookless it’s here to stay. From what I recall, Conti were one of the last big tire makers to release tubeless tires, so maybe not a surprise that they haven’t released hookless compatible tires yet.

Sorry to sound like a ludite, but I wonder how much real world advantage they will have over my OLD 404 FC clinchers…

Was solely saying that from the weight perspective. Zipp and Enve currently don’t have a wheelset that is at or near the sub 1250g Alpinist CLX. Obviously that in itself doesn’t make the Alpinist faster wheels than those offered by the other big brands so I can see where my comment would raise some eyebrows :laughing:

1 Like

The Bontrager XXX2 (28mm) was 1300g and the RSL37 (37mm) is 1350. I think there’s some good weight savings from the hookless design, though potentially some trade offs as well. Not sure why they aren’t TLR, my old Roval Traverse SL were hookless and Tubeless compatible.

Alpinist definitely has impressive specs

They are online!
Weight at 1260g, super competitive for a 45mm deep, wide wheel!!!

1 Like

Apparently 1304g with rim tape and valves

Pretty wild how road wheels keep getting wider and wider. My road wheels are 17.5 internal and from 2015. Now 21-25 seems to be the norm (my first MTB had 21mm internals). Current MTB has 29 internal

Wouldn’t surprise me if tires take on the same trend as smartphones and get wider and wider till we’re all riding fat bikes on the road.

Lighter than I was expecting. Have to admit, these are looking great.

Price, not so much.

A new set of gravel wheels :eyes:
1306g with valves and TL Tape. First test tonight

1 Like

Those 353 NSW?

I’ve been waiting / enquiring about these since late spring. All outlets said that October was the date when they would be in stock.

Now October has rolled around - the updated position is January next year at the earliest.

:disappointed:

1 Like

Yes. The bike they are supposed to go on has yet to arrive, but I put them on my truck and love them already:

Also, the 42c pathfinders have ballooned to almost 45mm width, crazy.

Nice!

If it’s any consolation they’re worth the wait!! I was lucky to find some in stock late spring or so and they’ve been great.

1 Like

Have you gotten some information regarding the use of Pathfinders and hookless?

Both times i have contacted Specialized they have advised against it, but they seem to be sponsoring riders who ride hookless ZIPP…

Sooo…

I thought the same thing.
I have made good experience with it on another hookless rim… also:

However, as per ETROTO, it is rated for more than 5bar, so not hookless.
I gotta say, that rating is stupid anyway. It is rated to at least 3.3bar, and I would never ride a 42c at such high pressure.

2 Likes

Ahhh, so the rating from ETROTO means that if the tyre is rated for more than 5 bar, then it cannot be hookless ready as well?

That makes zero sense…

Yeah, totally agree, at 42mm 3 bar is max that I would ride. I usually do 2,4 front and 2,7 rear with 40-42mm

Upside down wheels for reduced rolling resistance, brilliant!

1 Like