Youth/Kids Training

My take on kids and training, keep it fun and simple.

My son started racing bmx when he was 3, now he’s 13. I learned years ago that the more I push him the more he will push back and dislike it.

Currently my wife, son and I all have trainerroad accounts, my son also has the free zwift youth account. When his trainerroad membership is up I will not renew it and he’ll just use Zwift if he wants to ride inside, which is about 30mins once or twice a week if I’m lucky and for that it’s hard to justify the expense. He gets 3-4 hrs of running a week at school for cross county and rides or races with us on the weekends.

Our local crossfit gym has a family plan. It allowed my wife and I unlimited classes and limited kids classes for our son. Maybe trainerroad could look into something similar.

For reference he raced over 20 cx races this season and podiumed at most U15, U19 and Men’s 4/5 races he entered, he even won the final 4/5 race of the year last weekend. This spring he will be racing with the local NICA club.

Hopefully he’ll be just as happy riding his bike when he’s grown as he is now and It’s my job to make sure he is.

1 Like