XC race bike (Price out the equation)

Great question. Short answer: it’s what I had.
Longer answer:
I have a hardtail that came with 11-speed 11-46. Then I built a 26er monster cross bike (AKA a modern gravel bike from a 90s MTB) and could run the same drivetrain on both. I built the 26er monster cross because I wanted a gravel bike but didn’t want to buy a whole new bike to get one…

When I got the full suspension, I realized it Quitos be better to have the same drivetrain across all 3 bikes for two reasons:

1. Spare parts management (only need 1 Chain and one cassette, for instance).
  2. Wheelset compatibility. I have 3 sets of 29er boost wheels, for two bikes (Blur TR and Ti hardtail). So I can swap to a big wheelset for rocky stuff, my race wheelset for XCM, or a training wheelset that generally lives on the hardtail.

So I’m getting as much as I can out of mechanical wide range 1x, without leaving the compatibility problems of HG free hub bodies.

I’m tempted by electronic shifting TBH, but I would go to SRAM for that because:

1. the wireless dropper integration is just too cool and usable, and
  2. I have a Hammerhead Karoo, which I like more and more with each software update…
3 Likes

I had an Epic Evo on order, then canceled the order.

I have a tendency to get into a brand and want all my bikes to be that brand.

That can get expensive.

I’ve wanted to try Transition. Closest thing to XC would be the Spur, but it’s not a true XC race bike.

The Exie would be one I’d have to ride prior to buying.

Hump

2 Likes

scott spark - axs everything including dropper - no lockouts for suspension. Can you get a brain or equiv on bikes other than specialized? I hate cables

1 Like

I’d also throw the Orbea Oiz in the mix. Full XTR and custom paint scheme.

Hump

3 Likes

I get the impression the Spark with no lockout lever wouldn’t pedal that well. I think the suspension design relies on having that pedal mode. The upside I guess is that it can be truly plush in open mode, unlike most XC bikes.

My vote goes to Epic Evo or Blur TR with all the fancy components.

2 Likes

It would depend on wether it would be my only mountainbike, or if i could have one XC and one for the burlier days.
Only mountainbike:
alt 1 - Rocky Mountain Element with axs. 130 f 120 rear.
alt 2 - Yeti SB115 with axs. 130 f 120 rear

The Rocky strikes as a fantastic versatile bike for allround use. The Yeti is the evolved version of my SB100, which I love. Both will suffice for my XC needs.
The Ibis Exie should be a contender due to my love for DW link bikes, but I just cant seem to fall in love with its looks (yet).

Two bikes:
Blur TR
Yeti SB130 og SC Hightower

2 Likes

Not that you have to stick to one. I’m more asking, if you could buy a XC race bike no money issues or available stock

Hump

1 Like

Any of the modern bikes that you like the look of the best, Scott spark, Santa Cruz blur, specialized epic, box, cannondale, etc. maybe a ibis exie if you want to be a little unique. I’d probably get an ibis or cannondale, currently have a fourstroke that I like a lot, but having something a little more progressive would be nice.

Quick question: I thought there was some evidence that active suspension wasn’t as bad as people thought for pedaling efficiency? Doesn’t this kind of mean live valve isn’t that useful? From what I’ve heard it’s a pretty big weight penalty.

1 Like

Live Valve is only a part of the whole suspension equation. Trying to keep this short, the rear suspension kinematics (how the suspension moves and reacts to forces from pedaling, braking and other inputs) is a complex set of equations and attributes. Stuff like Anti-Rise, Anti-Squat and more are the mechanical side while the shock is the motion control side.

Simple slapping a LV onto a bike designed primarily as a regular shock design is not necessarily ideal. That’s because many design decisions are made with “simple” shock technology in mind. The use of remote or on shock compression damping controls should be a consideration in that design process. As such, there is potential for compromise since they likely place priority to one shock design or the other.

All that goes to how the bike will perform with a shock set to a given compression damping setting. With the potential for “smart” shock to do far more than we can even with a manual remote lockout, it opens the door to kinematics in ways not otherwise practical.

I’ve seen a range of reviews with XC and Trail bikes using smart shocks and the results vary. Some exceed expectations while others seem like a lackluster implementation. The idea of smart suspension is great and likely a long range direction for high and maybe even mid range bikes in the next 5 years. But we are very early in what can actually be done and accomplished with them. The “best” setup will be one that aims to take make open suspension do everything we want with a swap to efficient when appropriate. Coupling that shock setup with appropriate kinematics to balance that equation is the challenge.

3 Likes

Awesome explanation! That makes sense to me, seems like the best implantation might be a suspension platform designed for descending that can be offset when pedaling with something like live valve.

I’m mostly curious if there are any real world gains to more “efficient” suspension kinematics, pedal mode, locked out, etc. for reasonably well pedaling bikes (most xc bikes). Like does having a pedal mode or live valve result in 3 seconds gained on a short climb or something like that. Wondering if it’s similar to tire pressure where higher pressure makes a bike feel faster to the rider, but that doesn’t necessarily translate to real world gains.

1 Like
  • Yup, that parallels the review that Pink Bike did on the RockShox Flight Attendant on a heavy-trail bike. Had impressive descending skills and still climbed well with the smart shock setup. Essentially try to make each side of the equation better with less sacrifices needed via traditional shocks and flipping levers.

Not to derail the thread too much, but in my experience the thing that a good pedaling platform does is make me want to jump on the pedals, stand up and hammer. Even if there’s no efficiency loss with a very active bike, I just don’t ride as fast. I’m relatively certain this would be the case with most riders. Give them a bike that pedals well and they’ll put out more watts.

1 Like

This is something that is not black & white. It’s been discussed here a lot, been lots of more or less scientific approaches to investigate the difference between open/locked shock. The conclusions does not seem clear in either direction. Which IMO means that the difference is likely very small!

What you can much more easily put a “number” to, is what x-kg of added weight means for climbing efficiency! Having tried the LV system on a Pivot, I would certainly not pay money for it, I’d even go so far as to avoid it on a stock bike. That’s a lot of weight for something that only operates the compression damping! But am excited to see where it goes in the future, now that other brands like RS is entering the segment!

2 Likes

For reference, here is the topic that dives into the suspension efficiency question.

With regards all the suspension chat, I can’t believe we haven’t already got an electronic remote system. I have to assume/hope that RS are working on AXS SID suspension.

My bike isn’t far off my dream bike I guess, but it’s always greener. I’ve always wanted a Lefty for example, but it probably isn’t a “better” bike for me. The Spark is an incredible platform and I find that I only ever switch between open and traction modes. It really is the best of both worlds, except for all those damn cables.

If I could get some Berd spokes with Carbon wheels and silent hubs, AXS derailleur and Reverb to ditch one cable, and some XTR components for bling/weight I’d be pretty well at my perfect bike.

Any new bike that makes you say Dang I wanna go race that

Don’t get obsessed with weight

You could do worse than get the XC bike that won Gold at the Tokyo Olympics

1 Like

I would have said Rocky Mountain Element, but after a ride report from a friend I trust, it sounds more like a short travel trail bike than XC.

I’m sticking with my Ibis fan-boy status: Exie for me, please.

2 Likes

It does have a weight penalty of about 500 grams from memory (which is why Hannah Otto forsakes it).
However the fact I’m always forgetting to use my lockout justifies its use on my bike!

I have mine a bit downcountry so I don’t mind a little extra weight for good performance. It just works.

1 Like

I’m waiting for my Oiz now. Found one inbound to a dealer that wasn’t spoken for. Getting antsy waiting for it!

1 Like