Would you field sprint for 25th?

End of a crit is like the first 200m of an open water swim

The issue with sprinting and trying to gain 5 spots to get 20th is a risk reward situation for me. There is no reward for 20th. People at there limit always make bad decisions and i have already made one mistake being in 25th I don’t need a second mistake that could cost me more then an entry fee.

I enjoy crits also. I train to race

2 Likes

Hey!
I take this as a personal attack on people who sprint on tris…

1 Like

Nope, If I’m out of the money or points no use in sprinting IMO. I’d usually just cruise in.

1 Like

Some people think a D is better than an F.

The rest of us know how to chill and live to fight another day.

3 Likes

Depends on the scenario. If the group is bunched, no. Typically safety is the element there, better to just hold your line and coast over. Many people will sit up and trying to sprint through them can be deleterious to you and others in the field. If the pack is split, go for it. Test your mettle against others in the field. Best of the rest as it were.

A D is a passing grade, the F is not… Now…
Some people don’t know the difference between a C and D would be accurate

If I have no chance of making the podium, maybe top 5… I’m not firing off a sprint.

I’m a pure racer at heart, I race to win.

This post also reminds me of Zwift racing, I always smile when I see people smashing it for 71st at the finish. I do understand that it’s probably good sprint training, to contest a finish after a hard race. I’m actually a sprinter too. So, I should probably invest.

I guess I have weak mental fortitude. It’s win or bust for me.

1 Like

I don’t think your mentally weak. Just know sprinting while tired for 71st has no real
Impact in future growth.

In a crit, if you’re outside the top 10 into the last conrner, you’re off the podium and not in contention for the race.

In a one-day road race and you’re coming into the final 300m outside the top 10, it may make sense to still sprint - depending on the finish. If the road is wide and it’s uphill, there is a good chance that a lot of people will fade and there is plenty of space to move.

Also, if there are multiple grades/races all on course at the same time, it may still make sense to sprint if you don’t know where others in your grade/race are.

However, if you’re off the podium in a race, your finish position doesn’t matter.

If you’re out of contention and want to sprint anyway, it should only be done safely and at no risk to yourself or others.

2 Likes

This my lukewarm take on something i have never done…

If you sprint for 25th, even tho it doesn’t matter, it might give you a mental edge when (if) you are suddenly sprinting for 10th. Learning how to push pass the level of tolerable pain is very useful. I have sprint for a 10th place on a 5k race (i know it’s not the same), and to me that give me some mental motivation that i know i can put the pedal.to the metal at any time.

If you’re a 50m from the finish line, and the next closes group is past the finish line, why not sprint? You don’t have to sprint through the finish, but throw a 25m bomb in there just to see where you’re at fitness wise.

2 Likes

I don’t see it as a matter of placing… Because yes i know it doesn’t matter. 2nd place is the first loser.

I see it as more personal thing. How hard can I push this thing leaving nothing in the tank.

Yes. Cycling is way more dangerous than running, but I would still sprint at the end of a race.

That’s what I meant by doing it “safely” in my original post. Blowing past guys for 25th, no way. Pedal strong and keep the speed consistent in case someone else is doing that behind you.

1 Like

Why not? If it’s somewhat safe… If they are holding the line… Maybe they should get out of the way and let other people have at it

To clarify. I have no intention of ever doing a crit. They look dangerous AF.

I wouldn’t do it. If someone else is, I just want them to do it safely and not take me out.

2 Likes

And that’s fair… But make sure you move to the right and let people who want to burn the last of the gas go safely

I’m not moving in that scenario. You don’t have rear view mirrors, keep your line consistent and it’s the passer’s responsibility to pass me cleanly. Most people try to sprint up the sides anyway to protect the one side, moving across the course with a 10mph delta to someone sprinting is a recipe for disaster.

4 Likes

Fair… I don’t know enough about the logistics of a bike race to make a proper opinion. I just basing it all on my personality and how i do approach road races.

If it’s not a sketchy sprint then yes I will. I am not going to crash for it. I pay the bills with a desk job - not my palamares.
Note: at age 18-23 the answer was without a doubt, yes

2 Likes

If I am cruising into the finish line, with other people for 25th, I’m going to keep a perfectly straight line through the finish. If someone wants to sprint into the back of me, in front of EVERYONE, it’ll probably be their last crit with that club, and my hope is I would come away unhurt.