Winter is coming, gotta think about base period

I started this thread a year ago, a new season is about to start. This was probably the longest base period every. However, I had two races. The second one on Sunday, this was quite telling. Especially since I can compare it to previous participations.

First of all, I’m repeating myself now:

• I’m a more experienced rider (I don’t see huge gains anymore, my FTP hoovers around 4.7-5.1 W/kg)
  • training before last year’s participation was very polarized for many months.
  • this year with Covid I did plenty of @ AeT and Tempo. Plenty, plenty. A short threshold block in July (which was too intense I believe) and another threshold block in September. The rest of the time AeT and Tempo. No “very easy” days. I rather took a day off or went for an easy 1 hour run.

4-5h MTB Marathon
Last participation

This year, 25min faster, age group win, comparable conditions

grafik

there is basically just one difference: I’ve spent almost 30 min more in the threshold zone. One of my main concerns with previous training was the lack of turbo diesel performance. Just LIT and HIT did not produce this. Furthermore, 10min less coasting. I’d say this also reflects improved fatigue resistance.

In contrast this year, lots of tempo. And a short threshold block. As said before, at 46 and with my history I don’t expect much movement of anaerobic threshold anymore. HOwever, it appears that time at threshold is still quite trainable.

This is strikingly similar to what we see in DrMF training model thread. And this will be my model for the upcoming base period. A nice side effect: riding around AeT and tempo is extremely entertaining. Happy hard, fun. What I will include as well are these low cadence variations, have never done them really.

12 Likes