Where did you ride OUTSIDE today (2021)

Met some mates in the morning again, pre TT. I wasn’t off till near 5pm though so I did a bit of the ride with them.

The wind was supposed to die down a bit for my TT at Cambourne and it was supposed to get wetter too (it had been forecasted thunderstorms earlier in the week) it done neither. With getting held up at the turn and the last 5.5miles being into a 20mph wind I am quite happy with a PB of circa 1min 10secs (circa 22:30 for the 10) :slightly_smiling_face:

It sure felt like it was more than 15secs of zone 1 on the way out though :joy:

TR puts it at 95% which is about right :joy:

5 Likes

Back to the foothills for some climbing:

a lot of short & steep pitches:

The name of the ride is 4 Towers and here they are… the one above Costco Hill:

IMG_2565

air looked yucky but air quality AQI index was good. Next up is Beatty Dr the middle portion of the climb is a cat4 1.2km at 9.5% with over half of it above 12%:

just after the steepest part, when I took the water tower pic:

Oak Hollow before stopping at a park and crashing a Zumba class to refill my water bottles:

And the top of Aberdeen Dr a nice 1km 9.1% cat4 climb:

Nice morning for an all zones climbing ride:

9 Likes

Your dad is awesome!!!

1 Like

That is awesome! Glad to hear he’s recovering. My Dad’s about the same age and still rides too. No racing, but we do get out on rides every now and then.

2 Likes

Awesome :+1:

I was marshalling at a TT course last month and an older chap was stoked about his 27minutes something. Whilst it was a good time, its a fast course and it wasn’t exceptional for a 60-70year old. Then someone told me he was 91years :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Wow, 91 and still doing TT’s! At 53 that makes me feel like a youngster - and that doesn’t happen very often.

2 Likes

I hope he can keep riding until 91!
My dad can’t TT if his life depended on it, and admits so. :joy: But today we accidently bumped shoulders due to misscomunication while passing a couple of cyclists and stuff like that doesn’t bother him at all. Once a roadracer always a roadracer I guess?

2 Likes

Take every chance, you never know when it’s too late!
I’m actually quite amazed how quickly he bounced back.

3 Likes

With an apparently closing weather window it looked like the northern Pennines would stay driest for longest so I planned a route around Cross Fell and Great Dun Fell (the one that goes all Spinal Tap in Simon Warren’s 100 climbs book).

We thought that the route followed the zig-zag line up the fellside in front but it sneaks off to the left.

The first half was rideable but most of the upper half was pushing. You can just see Cath at the foot of the shot. We met more people on this bit than on the rest of the ride as it’s the standard way for walkers up Cross Fell. The track climbs nearly 600m in just 4km!

More pushing! You could ride some sections from here to the top.

The track reappeared again once you were close to the top. Not quite at 800m.

Heading to a bit of northern hills I really don’t know at all well.

Outside Greg’s Hut. Note the stones on the table to stop it blowing away! You are at 700m altitude here

Greg’s Hut was once a lead mine blacksmith’s smithy, being at a mine it had an access road. The upper bit of this is pretty rough but it improves lower down. You stay around the 600m mark for most of the way until the final drop to Garrigill.

Great Dun Fell, Little Dun Fell & Cross Fell. We’d be riding along that ridge in a few hours.

While there’s a pub in Garrigill we didn’t visit as it had taken a good while to get there and there was a section of the route I wasn’t sure if it would be hike-a-bike or not. We ended up having a chat with a local, turned out he’d grew up at one of the farms higher up the dale. He mentioned a stone marking the source of the South Tyne river but that they put it on a plinth so short people couldn’t see through it. Didn’t make a lot of sense so we headed on up.

The end of the road.

There’s a lot of old mining scars around. Not sure what the wooden structure on the spoil heap was for.

We finally got to the head of the valley and sure enough there’s a stone by the side of the track, on a plinth. The little stone to the left simply states “The source of the South Tyne”

I took the shot from a small stone platform on the other side of the track. Through the hole in it you can just make out the spring that is the actual source - you don’t need to stand on the plinth at all!

Once over the watershed we dropped into our third river system - the Tees (we’d started in the Eden Valley), this area is a nature reserve - yep, a whole load of nothing! Actually it’s a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, the first in Britain to be so designated.

So, you’re in the middle of nowhere, no public vehicular access, what do you do? Yep, install some bike racks so people can lock their bikes up!

A pretty set of falls at the point at which we left the track. The track eventually leads to Moor House which must be one of the remotest properties in England.

After a kilometre or so the track finally petered out and there was just faint singletrack to follow. Mostly it was rideable with the occasional dismount for ditches

But occasionally the beck had washed away short sections so detours were in order.

Eventually we left the beck and more continuous riding was possible, still relentlessly uphill.

That last shot was taken from the Dun Fell access road. The only other time I’d been here you struggled to see the width of the road! The white area above Cath is yet another old mine working.

By now time was getting on so we decided to just head down the access road. This is the highest paved road in Britain and it’s closed to cars! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Dun_Fell so you can just blast it with only the sheep to worry about.

13 Likes

@hlab, I’m starting to think you actually like TT and aren’t just practicing that thing the follows the swim and is a warm-up for a run. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

A nice recovery ride for me with some club mates down to a new to me bike cafe. Doh, the club email header said ‘Ride changes Saturday 8am/Sunday Social’ I should have read the email it was only the Saturday start time that changed and Sunday changes were a route change. I turned up at 8am an hour early but being out I went for a few loops until the 9am meet :joy:

4 Likes

Here in sunny Madrid, Spain, after a week of temperatures almost in the 40ºC range, today I was surprised that it was much cooler than the previous few weeks. I hadn’t planned any riding but I had to take advantage of this weather, so I went for a quick ride to climb Canencia.

Canencia is a classic for Madrid dwellers. It is shady and not too hard, quite a pleasant ride… I wasn’t feeling too good so I left it at that.

3 Likes

I rode the Aspen 50 MTB race yesterday. The course is 90% single track and fantastic views from some spots - in particular along the Rim Trail.

For the first time, I flatted during a race. During the last descent on the first lap. I didn’t hit anything particularly hard - must’ve been a sharp rock as it poked through the tread, and also made a pinch flat right at the tire bead/rim interface.

At first, I didn’t notice the hole at the tire bead, let the sealant do its job on the hole in the tread, pumped up the tire, and went on my way for 1 minute until I noticed the obviously flat tire.

The hole at the bead/rim didn’t seal, and I had to put in a tube. Took about 25 minutes all in. So that put a dent in my finishing time. I still beat Lance Armstrong though :rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

Only the sheep and road riders coming up the other way :laughing:

Great climb that.

1 Like

I am currently touring through the Western Alps and had my first bike ride. Starting out from the beautiful village of Montreux on the lake of Geneva,
I went up the massive Col de la Croix (not de Fer) and further to the short but steep Col du Pillon.
On the 40k way back home, I got in a little rain and hail here and there!
The Col de la Croix is a lovely climb, the bottom part isn’t that interesting from a scenery perspective. It felt very hard though.
Once you’ve reached the village of Villars, the scenery becomes extremely beautiful. No more trees, but huge waterfalls, and clouds rolling over the peaks.
There is a nice little cafe at the top of CdlC, which is nice to refuel.
The climb in total is a little over 18.5k and at 7% average, you climb well over 1300m.

The descent on the other side is relatively short and the asphalt is not so great.
The climb to Col du Pillon is a lot shorter and rather steep at over 8%.
The road conditions are pretty spot on. At the Col, you can get a snack. The way up is very beautiful, the Col itself is not so nice.

11 Likes

Fun this week on the new bike:

Cheap KOMs, they are neighborhood roads I use to return home and avoid traffic. Leaderboard is about 100, and those were maybe 70% efforts at around 28mph. Cut 2 seconds off previous bests, one from 2020 and the other from 2016. Conclusion: the Tarmac SL7 likes to go fast.

Was more interested in the 1 mile jobber yesterday:

this one starts in the middle of a roundabout and ends 2 car lengths from a major intersection. Cut 7 seconds from previous best (on the 3T Exploro), still in second on the leaderboard, but now just 2 seconds away from :1st_place_medal:. Wasn’t a max effort, and wasn’t trying for the KOM, just a nice hard push to getting a feeling for how the SL7 behaves at ~30mph in lighter winds. Had to brake for a full stack of cars waiting at the traffic light.

This bike likes to go fast!

9 Likes

New bike? I thought the 3T was your one and only groadie.

Issues with replacement frame, and couldn’t wait for that to be resolved after 6 weeks of reduced riding because of the yard remodel.

1 Like

Today was my „stage 2“ and it was likely the queen stage already.
It was objectively the toughest thing I have done.
I am currently in the beautiful little mountain village of Saint Martin de Belleville, in the French Alps.
Besides fantastic views, food, and hospitality, the area is basically surrounded by HC TdF climbs, many of the biggest and baddest the Tour uses.

For my first day here, I decided it was a great idea to choose arguably the two toughest TdF climbs for one ride.

I started out with a long descent and then went to Brides-les-Bains. This is where the Tour Stage 17 in 2020 started climbing on the Col de la Loze.
This may not be the most renowned climb in Tour history, but it is often referred to as the „toughest climb in le Tour“ or the „Angliru of France“.

The reason it is not as famous as other climbs is because the brutal North Western ascent has only been added very recently, through paving former skiing slopes. What makes this particularly interesting is the fact, that the final 8 odd kilometers of this climb are bike lane with no cars in sight.
So why do people refer to a 7.6% average climb, that is 22km long as tougher than comparable climbs?
Despite the lengths, the first two thirds of climb are relatively straight forward to climb. Once you hit the bike lane though, things change precipitously.
Of the last 6 kilometers, one is 8% average. The other 5 are 11% average. Also, those aren’t 11% of gradual slope. There are at least a dozen kickers of 20%+. It hurts badly.
When I finally reached the top (88 minutes and 275W average later), there wasn’t much to look at really. Very cloudy, no shops, no nothing. Just ski lifts out of service and a few signs.
Fair enough.

The pictures of the bike lane really don‘t do it justice. It is much much worse than it looks.

The descent was nice and fast.
Then there was only one climb left and it completely broke me.

The signs literally spelled out I should NOT have done it!

It is the climb to Val Thorens, which was used in le Tour 2019 stage 20. Nibali won the stage, and Bernal won the Tour here.
The climb is 33.5k long 5.4% average and it just never ends.
Reading this sign after 3kms of climbing really isn’t motivating at all:

I started out by averaging 270W, then there was the first little flat bit and my average dropped to 260… but I never got it up again. A few flat bits or descents later, I struggled to cling on to 240W average (which normally is a power I can hold for 5 hours +).
But the French sun, the pre exertion, the altitude, and probably my mental weakness killed me.
After climbing for over 2 hours (including two stops at road works, and having to retrieve litter that I dropped from my jersey pockets), I finally reached Val Thorens. A cool 9.5kph slower on average than Stefan Krujswijk. Damn I feel weak!

I was at the absolute limit of what I can mentally and physically do, I had to sit down to put on knee warmes and my wind breaker. The legs were just done for!

I should have taken more pictures of the stunning scenery, but I just wanted home…

This is an overview of the total ride:

15 Likes

Well since you ignored it, your revenge is a winter holiday to use the lifts :aerial_tramway: while skiing! :skier:

Great pics!

1 Like