What's with the fear of man-made products/foods

Traditional sour dough bread is made of flour (ground wheat), yeast, and water. Last I checked, those are all naturally occuring.

Wonder bread has over 30 ingredients…

I would rather buy the bread that lasts more than a few days, and I don’t care about a company’s bottom line because companies are in the business of making money and increasing profits so they can pay their investors.

What ingredients in bread are actually poisonous?

What is the problem?
Thiamine is vitamin B1. Thiamine is found in foods such as cereals, whole grains, meat, nuts, beans, and peas. Thiamine is important in the breakdown of carbohydrates from foods

Riboflavin is a B vitamin. It is involved in many processes in the body and is necessary for normal cell growth and function. It can be found in certain foods such as milk, meat, eggs, nuts, enriched flour, and green vegetables.

Google the rest of the “scary sounding” ingredients and let me know how poisonous they are

5 Likes

That’s not nutrition, that’s a religion.

I could never live in Portugal, I would gain a kilo a month eating them.

4 Likes

Or buy it once every 2 weeks, freeze it, and use it as needed.

1 Like

My parents live in my hometown with a large Portuguese diaspora so there are plenty of those in several towns here in the US. Fortunately I don’t go the bakeries on my own, but my parents sometimes go get stuff just for me lol I think I had 3 of them on XMas eve, and that’s on top of whatever other stuff my mom made!

1 Like

With all due respect, I understand where you’re coming from and I don’t think anyone feels that unfettered access to a lot of packaged foods is a good thing, but I think there’s a lot of hyperbole in your statements and a lot of stuff that seems more opinion than fact. There’s a lot of absolutism in the additives as poison statement that I don’t know if it’s completely proven. As someone who has been involved in health research and public health, there’s a lot of this in the vaccine field, where people have convinced themselves that vaccine ingredients are somehow unnatural.

I don’t think it was unreasonable for the OP to press you to back up your assertions. You state a strong link between preservatives and sweeteners to cancer, where are those studies? Is there anything really that conclusive?

I get there’s a lot of passion when it comes to this stuff, but I think folks need to take a step back and be less hyperbolic and caution against stating opinion as fact.

12 Likes

Why aren’t you asking for proof that yeast or flour in natural bread is unhealthy, you’re only questioning what you cannot pronounce because it sounds scary. Are you just assuming these natural things are good for you?

Also, there are no conclusive studies about Aspartame being unhealthy either, for every study saying its bad, there is one disproving it, Aspartame specifically has been discussed here before.

But you’re in a debate, and debating requires more than making a point and saying “because I said so” If you want to contribute in posting scientific peer reviewed literature which indicates preservatives are linked to cancer, that’s great. When you make a point, the burden is then on you to provide supporting evidence of your point. Again, I’m not saying you’re wrong on anything you’re stating, just suggesting to make the debate more robust and evidence-based rather than just trading statements.

2 Likes

Traditional sourdough uses yeast, ultimately, but it doesn’t actually have yeast as an ingredient. The ingredient you’re missing is salt. Regular bread has those four ingredients.

Bread yeast as an ingredient is a highly engineered product. Flour is a processed ingredient made from a man-made genetic abomination of a plant. Salt is naturally-occurring, but the salt most people have in their homes is processed.

Yes. I was interested in which of those ingredients replace one of the ingredients in regular bread. Or, which ingredient in regular bread is replaced? Do they use additives to get away with less salt?

Big American food stores sell a lot of products. Here’s the ingredients list for a multigrain bread from a big American food store:

Water, Organic Wheat Flour, Organic Whole Wheat Flour, Currants, Organic Seeds (Flax, Sunflower, Sesame), Honey, Organic Wheat, Organic Rye, Organic Corn, Organic Millet, Organic Oats, Iodized Salt, Yeast.

The olive oil and brown sugar are processed additives that are present only to improve the flavor and texture of the bread.

1 Like

To the OP: I don’t see it as fear at all. It’s a choice. It’s in the same continuum as the choice I make to rarely eat in restaurants, or to buy very little prepared food and rather cook at home. I don’t fear canned veggies, I just know fresh or frozen is better, even if it’s more work. I don’t fear prepared pasta sauce, I just know it tends to be high in fat and salt, but mostly it can’t compete against homemade one on taste, cost or nutritious value. And so on.

2 Likes

To me it’s not even a question of contents, taste is sufficient to make the choice.

1 Like

I think we can all agree that we don’t want conservatives in our food. I hate them, they’re poisonous.

12 Likes

I don’t want bread with conservative agents regardless of whether said agents are good or bad - bread with conservative agents is 99% of the time bad tasting bread, regardless of said agents. Why eat lousy tasting bread when you can eat good one?

2 Likes

:+1:

The problem is the expen$e of eating in all the great farm-to-fork restaurants we have here in CA. I’d love to leave the cooking to someone else, just can’t afford eating out 7 days a week :money_mouth_face:

I always have a hard time separating the capitalist intent. In general, companies that create food products often do so to make a profit. By processing food they can make production cheaper and enhance flavor. That generally drives sales and leads to more profit. On the other hand, growing food naturally, even with the use of pesticide, etc, is tough. Changes in climate seem to be making it harder.

I’m a teacher and a dad and I’m exhausted all the time. I often opt for the easiest and less expensive option. I don’t want to necessarily, but sometimes I just find myself making processed food decisions. I would rather buy local, from responsible farmers. But it doesn’t always work out that way.

I don’t know that it’s fear mongering, or rationalization, or whatever. We all tend to make the best decisions we can given our constraints.

Back to my wine now. No TR today.

1 Like

I really can’t tell if that’s tongue-in-cheek…but I gave it a thumbs up anyway! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Regarding added sugar, from a Peter Attia article I recently read:

1. The consumption of sugar (sucrose, high fructose corn syrup) increases plasma levels of triglycerides, VLDL and apoB, and reduces plasma levels of HDL-C and apoA-I [all bad for your heart?].
  2. The removal of sugar reverses each of these.
  3. The consumption of fructose alone, though likely in dose-dependent fashion, has a similar, though perhaps less harmful, impact as that of fructose and glucose combined (i.e., sugar).

I’m just the messenger with no idea if the message is scientifically accurate (or complete).

1 Like

I gave it a thumbs up too because I saw a donut in the thumbs up list. :rofl:

No, it was actually really funny.

1 Like

This guy is just trolling. The best option is to not post in this topic.

Things that are poisonous are dose dependent. It’s obvious that one Snickers bar will not kill you. Even 100 will not kill you, but a lifetime of eating sugar loaded packaged and processed foods might give you diabetes type 2 which in turn increases your chances of getting heart disease and Altzheimers which then lead to your early death.

They sell alcohol in grocery stores. It’s pretty clear that it is a poison. Drink too much and you die. Drink a lot over a period of time and maybe you get cirrhosis or fatty liver disease and then you die when you don’t get the liver transplant.

Has nobody noticed that there is an obesity and diabetes type 2 crisis in the western world? Do you not understand why that is happening?

4 Likes