What would you miss more - comfort of 28 mm tires or convenience of tubeless?

It’s already caught on. See the november wheels we’ve been talking about. They oem source their rims and he builds excellent wheels along with a great blog.

@OreoCookie good points! We’ll see more quality wide rims in the next couple of years.

Really, disk brakes aren’t going to turn into a revolution in braking power…they are going to turn into a revolution of rim & rear diamond design. More to come, for sure!

1 Like

I went from 28mm with tubes to 25mm tubeless and appreciate the tubeless more. a 25mm tubeless will probably over time start to bulge to be be bigger than 25mm anyways, which may mean either way you have some aero penalty, so go tubeless!

What do you think about Reynolds AR series? Frankly, 3T and Enve are out my budget. And I’m in Europe, so no November wheels.

Reynolds AR41/AR41x DB check all the boxes on paper, while having decent price. But they are not reviewed anywhere and there is generally really little info about them on-line.

Could they they be cheaper off shot from China, Reynolds rebranding to fight in ever competitive market and budget options coming from the East? I’ve seen it in other industries a lot - reputable brand first ignoring cheap competitors, than sourcing from them to fit in newly created market segment and keep market share.

Could you explain what you mean?

If you have properly matching rim/tire combos then the narrower set will be more aerodynamic than the wider set.

1 Like

Have you considered HED Vanquish wheels? The company makes solid wheels and is usually on the forefront of innovation. The have aluminum options as well if the full carbon option is a little on the high end price wise.

Why would being in Europe exclude them? They ship international.

In any case the point is the rims are not proprietary. They’re out there in the wild and surely you should be able to find a local reputable wheelbuilder to set you up with one.

Those are only 21mm internal and 30mm external which puts them as on par for “wide” rims. Given the trends I would prefer to try out a set of wheels with 25mm internal if you’re going to go with 28mm tires. On such a rim the that tire would probably come out to 31-32mm depending on the brand.

So, more or less upcoming Hunt Limitless 48. :smiling_face: China rebranding or not, you gotta give it to them - they u understand the market.

Yea, and they also understand how to advertise and up charge lol. They’re a bit narrower internally but are extra wide on the outside. Sounds pretty good but I’d rather customize my build with better spokes, nipples and hub. No detailed specs yet right? I wonder how heavy the rim is. We should compile a list of these rims. Sounds like they’re all coming out now.

To be honest, I have no experience with them, so I can’t add anything here.

Not necessarily, because you should measure drag on a bike with a rider. And the tubes of the frame are wider than the tires.

If you take 3T’s aerodynamic claims, for example, they show that tire width on a properly designed rim has marginal effect on drag. (Of course, we should take any numbers used for marketing with a grain of salt.)

At the end of the day, though, you have more than aerodynamic drag to worry about, and that includes rolling resistance (which is lower on wider tires) as well as handling and compliance (which is again better on wider tires).

Rolling resistance is lower for wider tires at the same pressure. People forget to mention that.

1 Like

Looks like Light Bicycle also joined the game of wide rims: Carbon Road/CX Rims (Non-Disc) - Light Bicycle

These are 25mm internaly, 32mm externaly, and 38 or 50 mm deep, clearly optimized for 28mm tires.

They are offering complete wheelsets build around those rimes, with DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim CX spokes for about 970 USD + shipping and handling.

What do you guys think about those? How they will compare to Hunt 48 LIMITLESS once Hunt actually releases those?

I guess I’ll let you know when I get them. :smiley:

Ordered my custom build from November bicycles on what is probably those rims and now I just have to wait.

Have been riding the 3T C45s and will not ride any other wheel now.

1 Like

Tubeless or tubes? Which tires?

How are they handling crosswinds?

Tubes w/ Pirelli P-Zero Velo 700x25c - they spec out to 28mm. I’ll probably switch to tubeless at some point, but, the ride and handling is superior to all the wheels I’ve ridden in the past, including deep carbon Reynolds and ENVE of multiple sizes w/ GP4k & Specialized tubed tires.

I’ll admit, I have only ridden them on a Strada, so, it could be part frame/setup as well.

Out of curiosity, how do you like the Strada (Pro? LTD?)? Is it very nimble? How is the lateral stiffness? I had a chance to test ride one, but could only ride it on straight roads. (It felt like a rocket ship!)

Mine is the Red eTap AXS amd it is magnificent. The only way I can describe it is it always feels like I have a tailwind. I’ve been riding and Allez Sprint w/ mechanical 11 spd 1X w/ rim brakes for several years and the difference is incredible. I’ve had others and loved the Sprint so much that I sold them all and thought it was all the bike I could ever want and for most people, it’s plenty and an amazing bike, but, no comparison.

2 Likes