What workout did you do today? (2022)

That wasn’t so bad!

I did an extra 20 minutes on this workout instead of choosing a 90min workout since I got on the bike a little later than I wanted to.

10 Likes

done whiteleaf last night. is this consider over/under? last interval i got a cramp. u can tell from the screenshot

9 Likes

Did a Tempo workout today which was pretty Novel for me. It was nice to be able to lift things a little. Didn’t feel overly taxing, though my legs are pretty tender now (six hours later) which indicates a few things I guess.

I’ve definitely lost some endurance, and the power is down but should come back. Trying to make a plan for next week and work out whether to ride lower level SS workouts, or to drop FTP down. Possibly both is the option but I don’t want to have to change too many times at risk of not having AI-FTPD available at the start of the next block.

Another Tempo workout tomorrow (first day back at work).

7 Likes

Those extra 2mins upset me for some reason!:joy:

1 Like

Back on the trainer this last week having taken the advice of the forum and spent the month or so after Covid just riding outdoors and getting my mojo back (gently) before being too eager to dive back into structured intervals.

Good-old sweetspot base to break me back into the swing of things.

Grassy Ridge -3 last weekend
Marked as Moderate post-ride
Felt good and was pleased.

Slide Mountain on Tuesday
Again marked as Moderate post-ride
A little breathlessness at the end
Think Covid has affected my lungs more than I realised

Beacon-3 yesterday evening
Marked as Hard post-ride
Effort felt somewhere between Moderate and Hard so I erred on the side of caution
Had been a long day at work and had not really eaten that well; so this feeling a little harder than it ought to have been wasn’t entirely a surprise
Noticed my cadence and resulting power output (in ERG mode) was quite erratic
Again I had breathlessness towards the end - not something I’ve ever really experienced on the trainer before as it’s always been my legs that gave up before my breathing - hoping the post Covid impact isn’t permanent :thinking:

9 Likes

Maybe race winners? Although the high output interval is longer than usual.

2 Likes

Temple

Wasn’t nearly as bad as I had feared, especially with an impromptu ride last night. Maybe there is something to keeping the easy days easy (0.65 IF last night).

I feel like I’m starting to get back into the swing of things. I had lost a bunch of motivation after a great off season of lifting and Traditional Base and 12 solid weeks of Polarized Base. Work stress, travel, and bike adjustments left me lacking motivation. As I sorted all of that out I dropped my FTP 4% because I kept failing workouts (AI-FTP-D said to only decrease it 1%, but that’s in the weeds). Low back and knee are on the mend so hopefully the corner has turned!

Now I just need to adjust my morning routine based on Return to the Office traffic clogging the roads. Shorter morning workouts? Get up earlier / less sleep? (I already don’t get enough so probably not.). Get an N+1 to keep at work to ride there (thereby beating all morning traffic)? Would have to store it outside but under cover in an open-air parking garage. :thinking:

10 Likes

I am also trying to figure out how to squeeze in everything with added traffic in the mornings. I might have to cut my runs a little.

I thought I had figured it out with 30 minute TrainNow intensity workouts and longer endurance rides, but I think I might have exhausted the extent to which the mini workouts push fitness, at least for threshold and below. Today, it didn’t suggest any productive 30 minute threshold workouts. Hope there is more in there, otherwise I’m gonna need to find more time for Threshold days.

Today, I did:

Can’t wait to ride outside this weekend!

8 Likes
  • Not according TR, because when I use Threshold and Over-Under filters in the workout catalog, Whiteleaf is fully removed from the list.

2 Likes

1x30 @ FTP?

2 Likes

Congratulations.

Enjoy the tender moments, grit through the tough ones, treat yourself right and raise those kids to develop fast-twitch fibers early. No one ever won a sprint with FTP…

1 Like

I think this is always the answer.

Is commute by bike possible? Do shortened version of the weekday workouts, then commute for volume? Or commute, work, commute and jump into a shortened version? Second option is not particularly family friendly for me, but with added workplace flexibility, I can sometimes pull it off.

OUCH. OMG. But, you are right, I am sure.

Done Kearsarge-5 today, but I find it quite pointless. The interval is too short, 25secs only !

8 Likes

Finished off the week with another Tempo session. They’re an interesting beast. I’m carrying a lot of fatigue for a very low training load for the week.

Will see what the body is ready for next week. Currently have a version of Wright Peak scheduled for Monday, but I’m not really ready for (or capable of) 94% of a too high FTP. Maybe just some more Z2/Tempo time on the trainer.

Come back dry weather!

10 Likes

Did you do it with ERG on. I can’t see in detail up close as lol, I have my contacts in #Auldageblindness :joy: But its sounds like you have strong Anaerobic energy :muscle: If so try swapping to Resistance mode and pushing as hard as you can during the 25s intervals and you soon won’t find them pointless :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve been mostly riding for fun & mental health benefits so far this year but seeing I’ve got a 100k mtb race coming up in 7 weeks, I figured I really need ti do some work to get ready! My “plan” is to do 1 indoor workout per week, usually will be vo2, an outside vo2 for longer internal lengths & an outside slightly Supra threshold session. Yesterday I did 3 sets of 3x3 on a short, 1/2 mile jeep trail near one of my favorite trail networks. I really need to do outdoor workouts more often!

10 Likes

I would love to commute but there are no safe bike routes from Manassas, VA to Washington, DC. Plus it’s 50 miles each way. If I could do that commute by bike, each workday for a year, I might be able to join the pro peleton based on volume alone! :joy:

The easy answer is to shorten my morning workouts. I’m still toying with the idea of N+1. Anacostia Park and Haynes Point are low traffic, well lit areas where I could bike safely in the morning. If I got a gravel bike I might even be able to hit parts of the C&O Canal.

6 Likes

today i did leg day and i can say that it was hard but i pushed through

2 Likes

Okay, that one was officially hard. I’ve noticed I have a hard time giving a workout that isn’t vo2, a “very hard” or “all out”. At the end, I always say to myself “I could do one more if I had to”. Maybe I need harder workouts then :sweat_smile:

11 Likes