What is the WORST advice you ever heard?

TR forum is a wealth of goodness… and while we may not always agree and have different training philosophies, for the most part I haven’t heard any BAD advice. But I know there’s some doozies out there… so lets hear 'em!

Here’s a sampling of some good one’s I have heard:

“Go out in first place, run as hard as you can and don’t let anyone pass you.”
(I was 13 years old running my first 5k and and the winning time was low 14’s. Spoiler… they passed me. :rofl:)

“Breathe through your nose”
(Not a good idea when you are sprinting the homestretch at the end of the mile gasping for air).

“You don’t need shoes. Barefoot running is more natural.”
(A senior runner of mine who read Born to Run… who not long after hit a rock running on a trail and broke his toe).

“Just buy the bike. What makes you happy will make her happy.”
(Beware of advice from single friends).

5 Likes

I’m not a big fan of “get/stay near the front at any cost” for folks doing their first crit (or really any kind of mass start racing). It seems to be super common advice. While I totally appreciate the benefits of being near the front, I think it’s misguided advice for most folks totally new to racing. Even if someone has lots of group ride experience, racing in large tight packs where many people are fighting for a position near the front can be very dangerous as a new racer (and the racers around them). Especially on tight, technical courses. Better to get a feel for the pack/pace/surges/dynamics a bit further back. Yes, it can take more fitness to ride further back in the pack (and increase the chances of getting dropped), but you’ll learn a lot more and get comfortable before starting to fight hard for positions near the front.

“Be at the front” isn’t really the worst advice (it makes sense in a lot of situations), I personally just think it’s dangerous advice for new racers.

7 Likes

1 hour rides won’t help you

-eom-

27 Likes

Erg mode is a game changer

-ducks-

9 Likes

This reminds me of a guy who regularly runs the local weekly 5k parkrun race. He goes off like a rocket every time and just aims to hold the lead for as long as possible…his theory is if he holds on little longer each week he’ll eventually win…so far I think his best is about 350-400m! He’s in his thirties and usually finishes is around 22mins…winner normally sub 18.

3 Likes

“75% of your highest 1min power on a ramp test is a good approximation of your FTP.”

Don’t get me wrong, I love TR and objective tests, but this is pretty far off for me and many, and I’m convinced that this is the primary reason TR gets complaints about too much intensity.

8 Likes

‘If you are under 3 watts per kg, then you should keep your rides under 90 minutes’ when training for a 120 mile event…

:slight_smile:

18 Likes

Your FTP is 95% of your 20 min power

2 Likes

2 hour training sessions can adequately prep you for long races.

16 Likes

This one is breaking my brain a little. Someone really said that?! It’s so silly on so many levels, but somehow the specificity on W/KG is killing me.

3 Likes

Get into biking, they said. It’ll be fun, they said.

19 Likes

When people post things like, “I am really struggling with my plan, I keep failing workouts, I can’t sleep, and I am exhausted all the time”, and people reply with things like “Most people don’t need more recovery, they need to ride more” or any other version of HTFU, FTFP, etc.

6 Likes

Just this week. It’s probably still on the first page of the forum.

4 Likes

“You should try TR plans”

5 Likes

Someone advising using grease on brakes to stop the squealing noise

Eat yellow snow

3 Likes

Ha! I had an idea once to raise my FTP by doing 4 × 8 minute Seiler-style intervals a couple of times a week and gradually (as in over a couple of months) reducing the recoveries from 4 minutes down to zero.

In the end I did NOT advise myself to do it. I still wonder, though …

1 Like

Who ever says that? I wish more people said that, this recovery mentality is way over cooked.

Pretty much everything posted on any endurance forum on reddit. Full of complete idiots. So far TR seems not as bad, thankfully.

1 Like

Start cycling! It’s an easy and cheap way of exercising.

18 Likes
  • Ride fasted so the body gets fat adapted.

Same dude also complains that he never gets faster, but since thats not “his goal” he changes subject to say that he can ride slow for a whole day on just water gas station food.

• Tyre pressure is supposed to be what is stated as max on the tyre side

• Easy rides don’t make you faster, only intensity makes you faster

• If you don’t ride Zwift races you will never get used to high intensity

• Riding indoors without a fan (their argument is that its good to sweat…)

• And then in general, not understanding food labels. Just looking at the calories but not understanding where they are coming from.

• That sugar is bad

The list keeps growing…

10 Likes