What GRAVEL races/rides are you planning for 2020?

Did Barry Roubaix Psycho Killer 100 last year; can’t say enough good things.

This year:
Cascade Gravel Grinder (3 stages)
Plymouth, MA Gravel Race
Vermont Overland

2 Likes

Hoping to do the Cascade Gravel Grinder, three day gravel stage race in Bend, OR (end of April). If I can get family permission, it’ll be my first A goal of the year.

2 Likes

Yea not going to the recon camp just to gain entry for SBT GRVL.

But as for the Cascade Gravel Grinder, it’s high on my list now since we’re already doing the early Gorge ride in April. I also might just do the full list of GF grinders from Events – Vicious Cycle since I’ve done each of those on separate years but never in 1 full year together. It starts off easy and get progressively harder, longer and more elevation by the last one.

2 Likes

Hopefully a few more, but definitely

Gravel Grape Crusher
unPAved

3 Likes

Lets see
-All the GrassHopper Races (minus Lake Sonoma)
-BWR
-Fish Rock
-Lost and Found
-Rebecca’s Private Idaho
Maybe Rock Cobbler and Grinduro but probably not.

1 Like

That’s awesome, and you’re absolutely right. We are very fortunate here to have amazing gravel rides. I plan to be at both of those as well. Have you done these two events before? I’ve done both several times, and they are great. The Placer Roubaix route is in my neighborhood, so I ride it regularly

1 Like

Such a solid list! See you there👍

Awesome, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you

That’s a very solid list. I do highly recommend the grasshopper series when and if you get a chance. Spectacular series

1 Like

I did Lost and Found last year. I live in Auburn, so the Placer Roubaix route is a regular ride (or smaller versions of it). Looking forward to doing the official race (which I just found out will be a bit different from years past having us on the Ponderosa Rd portion as well). Should be fun!

1 Like

Ah, man, I’ve never heard of that one but it’s only 40 minutes from my old house! If I had to guess I’m sure it’s awesome.

Cool, have you done the Gorge Grinder? It’s a pretty long haul for me (5+ hours), but it would certainly be a good warmup for Cascade. Have you done Cascade? Review?

I’ve also done several of the Vicious Cycle events and yeah, they’re awesome. I think Winthrop is one of the single best rides I have ever done. Too bad they moved it to the fall so now it conflicts with CX season. I might do Ephrata this year but if I recall correctly that was more of a road race (people doing it on 25s). Leavenworth might be in the cards if I’m in town. The final climb on that ride is truly terrible.

1 Like

Are you doing the Lowgap hopper? I did all the hoppers in 2018 for the 20th year. Those are my stomping g grounds.

1 Like

What would be the minimum tire size for the Placer Roubaix?

1 Like

Well, you hear it a lot, but bigger is definitely better! I’ve ridden the route on tires as small as 33’s, but now a days, 40mm is the smallest I go. So much more comfortable. Just about any true “gravel” bike made now will fit a 40 in the rear. Lots of true cross bikes will only fit up to a 37 or 38. In that case I recommend the biggest that will fit in back with a 40 or 42 in front, and make it something fast rolling over the top. it’s a challenging ride, and I highly recommend anyone giving it a go put the fattest tire possible on. :sunglasses::muscle:t3:

Rough Road 100
Barry Roubaix
Lowell 50

Probably will add one or two others for fun. My sweet spot is in the 40 - 70 mile range.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking for a few less serious events to fill my race calendar. Trying to keep things in perspective and remind myself that I primarily ride for fun. Found this one and decided to start training for it today.

https://dirtydonutrace.com/

Time bonuses for every donut consumed on course. I need to get my carb intake up while riding.

3 Likes

Beautiful! Ride for fun

1 Like

I’m wanting to try gravel this year, as a bunch of my riding buddies have recently gotten in to it and I’m a sucker for the ‘everyday adventure’ marketing so many companies are using. I’m looking at riding/competing in the Ohio Gravel Race Series, 8 events over 8 months with the first one coming in March.

2 Likes

We haven’t done Gorge Grinder yet but heard good things from other teammates and friends! Easy start for the gravel season without being too hard. I think it will be a good warmup for the rest of the gravel rides I’m doing.

Leavenworth is fun past 2 years and agree the last climb is a b*eotch! Beautiful views and scenic area which is usually our team’s best time since it’s a great place to hangout before/after the ride. Yes Ephrata is definitely do-able on a road bike with at least 25s but the remaining ride series you definitely need a gravel/mtb.

I think we’re looking to do more OR rides or even CA if we find a good fit in the schedule and if it isn’t sold out! Seems gravel rides/races are indeed growing fast and hard to get in if you’re not on top of registration.

1 Like

RPI (56 miles)
Salty Lizard (undecided on distance)
Stupid Pony

I don’t have enough time to train for some of these 6+ hour efforts, so I’m only going to sign up for the low or medium distances. Plus I’ll have more time to enjoy the post-ride libations.

2 Likes