What do you put between your aero rim and tire?

1 Like

Yeah, there was (now admitedly older) study by a group at Harvard (MIT?) that outlined the prioroties…Position, helmet, wheels, frame

(assuming you are coming from a regular road helmet…if coming form an aero road helmet, it may not be as big an improvement.)

1 Like

That was the picture I was looking for, but couldn’t find it…knew it was a Discovery rider. thanks!!

1 Like

And another interesting compilation:

Thanks @Power13 and @mcneese.chad; I’ve been leaving the aero helmet at home but now I’m going to wear it for the KOM’s :). Great reading!

2 Likes

I’ve got some wrinkles in my oversized velotoes…but a smaller size got that straight. Forearms are just touching. I’m up for suggestions!

1 Like

I dunno, dude…you are pretty dialed. No low hanging fruit that I can see. Good arm angles, hand in front of face, head in line with your shoulders.

And a sweet damn bike…if I ever do another IM, that is likely the bike I’ll get.

1 Like

Ditto. Short of actual tunnel testing, not sure you have anything to change.

1 Like

BOOM!
always helpful when context is provided. I wasn’t trying to be dickish, but for all we knew commenting on this you were missing the forest for the tree bark. As Chad said at this point you’re down to actual wind tunnel testing.

1 Like

I’m an amateur compared to many here, but nothing obvious there as the others have said. Have you considered trying the Chung Method? Your Power Meter is the Best Wind Tunnel Available. I’ve been thinking about playing around with it to really see what makes a difference… The nice thing with the Chung Method is you will absolutely confirm that any small changes either make a difference or don’t - so either way you can have confidence the decisions you make are real and not bro-science !

1 Like

I have literally done hundreds of laps trying for consistent, repeatable data. But so far it has been elusive! I’ve had some days where I go A/B./A/B and gotten results faster/slower/slower/faster! It’s like…wth??

My latest thought is…ride in the wee morning hours on an up-roudabout-back route. If I find myself unable to sleep some calm night…

Thanks for throwing it out there :slight_smile: I love that article!

Joe

Yeah I totally get it, it’s hard to know where a person is coming from and if you have a bunch of things that are simple to fix it makes sense to start there. I switched to 1X with a 58t ring and for TTs in Florida it’s great! I’m right in the middle of the block and getting that straight chaining with big cogs.

It’s been a gradual evolution, this picture was from 2014.

I’ve never tried the data collection piece of the equation. The logic makes a great deal of sense though. Robert Chung suggests using a circular track and completing test runs with different speeds, all in real-world conditions, but obviously the more stable the conditions the better (ie 3am :smiley:)

It honestly sounds easy and the data modelling side fits nicely with other work I’ve done in the past. In terms of absolute accuracy - it isn’t really needed. As long as their is measurable differences between the A and B then your decision can be supported by the data. I will give it a go at some point.

Please let us (er… me) know how it goes. or at least “I was/wasn’t able to get consistent results”

I hope it works for you!

1 Like

1x? Aero chainrings? gloves?

Looks very fast, chapeau!

1 Like

Yes, yes, and…the lycra mittens. Are those legit? I like to think I’m radiating heat from my paws when racing but if the mittens are really faster…?

Joe

From various aero discussions I have heard, gloves are highly individual for aero benefit vs loss.

I do think the potential for heat gain is real, and tests of hot vs cold hands are very legit in their potential for heat mitigation.

This is one of those “gotta test 'em” answers…and a LOT will depend on the type of glove. If you use a normal glove with a velcro fastner, etc. there isn’t much chance it will be neutral or an aero gain.

If you use specific aero TT gloves, it can be faster…but is not a guarantee.

For TT’s, I have been using aero gloves, subscribing to the well-tested theory that clothing is faster than skin. High wrist, tight fitting, etc. Have no idea if it is actually faster or slower…but the logic seems reasonable. :man_shrugging:

For a tri, I would opt for no gloves…simply because trying to wrangle them on with wet hands would suck.

Yeah it depends on hand position, but UCI did make full length not allowed for a reason. Skin is slow.