What are your unpopular cycling opinions?

No. 2:

Fasting and or caloric restriction is dumb and only hurts performance in the long run. If you need to or feel the need to restrict your eating the ONLY reason is because you’re eating the wrong things.

Corollary: You’re eating too much meat and not enough vegetables.

Corollary 2: There are no circumstances under which restricting your eating will cause you to “burn fat” or lose fat at a faster rate than exercising while properly fueled.

12 Likes

Everyone is a fred of some variety. :fire:

26 Likes

Mass start cycling races being chess on wheels is a bad analogy. Poker on wheels would be a much better analogy.

There’s usually more than two people. Noone has the same cards (fitness/skills/teammates) or all of the information. Bluffing can be involved. There’s an element of luck that chess just doesn’t have.

31 Likes

If you jump on my wheel unannounced and without asking; don’t expect me to point out hazards to you, that’s your look out.

5 Likes

You don’t need to wear a helmet or wear special clothes to ride a bike (to be fair it only tends to be unpopular online).

7 Likes

As someone who is almost always doing a workout…Zwift would be better if there were more long, flat routes…and I say that after spending years wishing they would build more climbs.

16 Likes

Sunglasses aren’t needed on the bike. I get the whole “eye protection” aspect, but my glasses either fog up and get covered in sweat, and get put up on my helmet within 10 minutes of every ride and stay there until I am done.

5 Likes

It’s more like roulette, there’s heaps of people that lose.

2 Likes

Roadies are the conservative uncle of the cycling family. They are about 10–15 years late to every trend and only reluctantly adopt new tech: moving away from ridiculous gearing, disc brakes, wider tires, 1x.

Mic drop. You win, sir!

13 Likes

Rim brakes have died purely to force me into a more expensive braking system

30 Likes

Climbing isn’t any harder than flats, it’s just slower.

38 Likes

Follow Up Hot Take:

Mountain Bikers practice skills because they are slow cyclists :joy:

Based purely on a single individual anecdotal experience. I don’t own a mountain bike…I’ve never been mountain biking…except a single time…I borrowed a bike and jumped in the Jerdon Mountain Challenge in North Carolina with zero experience.

Passed most people going uphill, those same people blew by me downhill. Overall…finished better than I normally would in a cyclocross or crit race.

8 Likes

Spot on.
That has been my experience as well. E. g. I have heard all sorts of ridiculous discussions about whether you wait for your riding buddies at the top of hills or what socks to wear. I have ridden mountain bikes for decades and you of course wait for the friends and people you ride with. You chill until everybody catches up.

Case in point: at my last offroad ride with others, someone brought a coffee maker, coffee grinder and coffee for everyone. It took up tons of space, but it was great since we were riding in snow.

Roadies seem much more closed, they often get uncomfortable when someone is much faster or much slower than they are. E. g. I’m usually one of the quickest, but I don’t mind going downhill and “pull” someone uphill if need be.

7 Likes

Riding indoors is more fun than riding outdoors.

18 Likes

Gonna wave AND yell out how much I like the color of your jersey/bike/whatever :sparkles::sparkles:

16 Likes

Cyclists dont care about the details.

1 Like

Disc brakes work much better and e. g. allow for wider tires. Without disc brakes you wouldn’t have do-it-all and gravel bikes like the Open UP, Cervelo Aspero, 3T Exploro, … Arguably, this is the hottest trend for drop bar bikes. IMHO in a few years most bikes will be do-it-all or gravel bikes.

Initially the UCI was afraid they wouldn’t work well enough or would lead to tons of injuries even though they had been standard on mountain bikes for >1.5 decades.

4 Likes

I bought a rim brake, 52/36 FD roadie in the fall. Don’t @ me

5 Likes

We need to invent a variation of Goodwin’s law where every cycling forum thread invariably leads to a disc brake debate. Godwin's law - Wikipedia

11 Likes

This I get. Totally understand

What I don’t get dropping rim brake options completely as all main manufacturers are doing now.

Grr

6 Likes