Was I sold a bike that is too big for me?

For the sake of completeness and not to assume that everyone has adjusted their bike setup ad infinitum like me, remember that there are a multitude of stem, bar, spacer, seat post, cleat, and shoe options that will all be useful in adjusting your fit. I bet it is exceptionally rare that a bike fits someone perfect right out of the box.

You can adjust reach by changing the stem and there are drops with different drop and forward reach as well. Get the saddle position right if it isn’t already and then adjust the other elements to tweak the fit.

You are kind of on the boundary of 56/58 but it does depend on effective top tube length.

If you have long legs and short torso you may struggle.

You say that, but my first roadbike I ordered online and it came mostly assembled in a box. I took it out, put the bars and pedals on, thinking I’ll adjust the seat next…put my hand on it, hmm, that actually feels alright. Didn’t touch it for over a year at least. :smile:

1 Like

Pretty typical for bike shops to fit someone that way. Using the stand over height. That is all they had years ago. So, the bike shop did not intentionally sell you a frame that was to big. Its is best to have a professional bike fit. Not every shop has a professional bike fitter. There are many factors to consider as has previously been stated. This is coming from someone who’s has had many years of cycling experience and now has to ride a recumbent because of chronic pain from improper fit.

I’d highly recommend a bike fit. A good fitter will be able to tell you if they can make that bike work without absurd modifications, or whether you definitely need a new frame size. Whenever a friend or family member asks about getting into cycling, I always send them straight to a competent fitter first, even if their budget is somewhat limited. It’s the most well spent money in cycling.

Some fitters seem to have extreme views, so, if possible, I would seek a fitter recommended by two or more cyclists that have a bit more experience than you in the cycling discipline of your choice. This forum is a great place to seek a recommendation, as there are probably a few from your location that check this regularly.

1 Like

I’ll agree most suggestions and add my 2 cents. I’m 6ft with 34in inseam, 58cm Specialized works great for me. My knees loved it, felts too stretched out, so I went from a 110mm stem to an 90mm stem, local shop let me try different stem lengths for a few weeks and it that made a world of difference. Personally, I’ll say make sure you legs are fine, you it’s cheaper to work with a stem then replacing a frame. Plus, take @mcneese.chad advice.

Wow, thank you for all of the responses.

I called multiple shops in NYC and found one that is doing “Guru” bike fits and I made an appointment for this weekend. Seems like some sort of adjustable bike used to find an individual’s ideal position? Hoping $375 is reasonable since these measurements will still be relevant for some time.

Hoping all of your advice is correct and just some saddle, stem, and handlebar adjustment/replacement does the trick rather than a new frame but I guess I’ll be finding out soon.

Thanks again I did not expect nearly this many responses.

2 Likes

Post some pics and we’ll tell you if you should have gotten a 56.

I’m also 6 foot. I used to ride 58s. I even had a 60 (c-c) back in the day. But, I’ve gone towards the smaller frames lately. I’d usually rather have a 56 with a 12cm stem over a 58 with a 10cm stem. Most online specs (like Trek or Specialized) try and put me on a 58.

You can adjust your 58 with a shorter stem and/or shorter reach bars.

I’d suggest buying this DIY guide to fit from Bike Dynamics UK.

I used it recently to update the position on my trainer bike and gravel bike (new 6 degree stem, reward cleats, added pedal spacers)

I followed the guide and did the incremental adjustments on my trainer setup, then measured them over to my gravel bike.

Totally worth it.

I also used Bike Fast Fit to capture some of the measurements:
https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/bike-fast-fit/id710935084

1 Like

6ft3 here (so roughly 1,91m), 91cm inseam. Riding a CAAD12 in size 58 and happy with it.

In shops I was suggested 58, 60 as well as 63. Riding on the 63 really didn’t feel that good (rather wobbly handling, quite stretched out). That being said, differences in ride feel were not as drastic between sizes 58 and 60 for me. I think even looking back after many years (and miles) of happy riding on the 58 frame I could’ve fitted the 60 as well.

Decision for me was an independent bike-fit back in the days, it put me somewhere between 58 and 60, with the tendency to 58. Hence my decision.

Torso and arm length are quite normal for me, I guess. Hope this helps!

I’m 6 feet and ride a 58 cm bike with a 100 mm stem. Was fitted by a professional bike fitter and I’m just fine.

1 Like

I’m 6’, have a long’ish inseam, and have 3 bikes: 55cm, 56cm, and 58cm.
It all depends on how you set it up.
Head over to the shop and see if they can change some items (zero setback post, shorter stem, etc).

Fit is very complicated and not just as simple as “you’re x height you get y frame”. My first road bike I sold after a few weeks because it felt big for me and gave me neck and back pain. I bought a smaller frame and over the course of 4 years have extended that frame to be longer than the old bike was and have not had a complaint about the fit in a long time.

I think it takes more than having someone stand over the bike for private part clearance to fit them, so maybe the shop dropped the ball there, but I’m sure you can also make it work. Seeing you on the bike from a few angles would help, maybe someone can take photos of you in various positions from various angles and we can see if anything screams wrong size or it’s workable