Volume responders

This was my training method for several years. I won’t get into why, but I was forced into riding a lot, and just kept doing it. Started adding in more and more Strava segments or challenging rides with friends, and got stronger still. FInal straw was hiring a coach who helped plan out intervals for me ON TOP of my long hours (20-30 hours a week). My coach was actually on board with it. I never intentionally took time off, but sometimes I wouldn’t be able to ride for a day and just called it a rest day. If I was tired, I just didn’t push myself, but I had a pretty good schedule that allowed me to do long hard rides, recovery rides, rest time, etc and I never felt bad.

I didn’t take an FTP test at my peak. But some time before that I was around 5 w/Kg and I was certainly stronger when I had the coach (according to my race results).

Obviously not for everyone, or most, but worked for me. My FTP dropped from not doing any hard work, just miles, over the past year+ (another story), so I am slowly building back my speed and endurance right now. I am using LV on TR to build up my interval work, and will be adding more and more base hours as my body allows until I am hopefully (hopefully) back to where I was two years ago.