VO2 workouts - HR, % of FTP...secret to cracking my plateau?

I do.

The first is mistakenly using my descriptive levels to prescribe training.

The second is using some unspecified zone system to prescribe training.

2 Likes

What do you think of San Millan’s training zones specifications shared in this video:

One thing to note is that rest periods make a big difference.

My coach always stuck religiously to a work/rest ratio of 2:1 for VO2, and 5x5 @110% of FTP was always pretty savage at that intensity. Like vomit savage.

With 1:1 work to rest, though, what was a god-awful session became merely a very hard one.

Maybe extend the recoveries while you up the power then work on cutting the recovery periods back?

2 Likes

The higher of vo2max, the more possibility of
higher FTP. Every cyclist wish to have a higher vo2max by finishing harder and harder vo2max workouts, ex: 120% FTP, 5min x 5.

However, In Cyclist Training Bible book and WKO5 Webinars both mention a concept that doing high intensity too much or too soon(especially vo2max workouts) might lead to plateau or even peaking too early which cause power decline.

In order to finish harder vo2max workouts, from Cyclist Training Bible book’s perspective of view, is to build your base ability stronger. Simply put, you need to do more base training than before. For example: If traing time of week is limited due to life constraints, then maybe try to do more SST to build more TSS in a week; If training time of week is not a problem,consider doing more aerobic endurance workouts(example of this workout:keep HR at approximately “LTHR-30” for 30min to multiple hours depending on your race event, google “joe friel aerobic endurance workout” for more details) in a week to train your slow twitch muscle and ability to use fat as your fuel for the ride.

After all of the base training above, you might have built a stronger base and had greater possibility to finish harder threshold and vo2max workouts than before to achieve higher FTP. Hope this information helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What would you use to prescribe training?

RPE works pretty well for me for threshold efforts and higher, mainly just look at the power numbers for those once I’ve finished. I find RPE on its own less useful for endurance rides as it will vary quite a bit over a long ride, so I tend to also keep an eye on HR and power and use a mix of all 3.

2 Likes

No, I run a business, have two kids and increasing riding time is tough. This time of year it goes down and will start increasing again around spring break. I just need to do more intervals since my volume doesn’t get much about 12hrs a week at peak.