VO2 Max doesn’t work?

AT sounds pretty smart then, I’d not recommend them for anyone! They’re some of the hardest vo2 max workouts in the library, so will certainly diagnose the problem one way or the other.

I should add I’ve done both and completed them, but wouldn’t personally volunteer to do either right now…

That’s a baby VO2 max workout. :blush:

Try Kaiser.

1 Like

Yeah only Vo2max based on Coggan wattage zones but not on time.

For me I get no time at VO2max below PL level 6.x

1 Like

So? given tr nomenclature, 105% is suprathreshold and 106% is vo2 max. Of course, everything you do will elicit vo2 max due a slow component, 4:30-5min of 106% will probably do nothing. If you do 5 min going max you will get probably around 2,5 - 3 min of really productive vo2 max work. So as you can imagine doing 5 min of something that is basically a little over the threshold is probably not enough. Not to mention that we do not know your profile and anaerobic contribution. Just forget about the percentage over FTP - just as hard as you can and repeat.

And almost 9 min recovery. :flushed:

When did doing V02max intervals get so complex?

Forget what some software is telling you what you can do. Actually test what you can do…

1,000,000 % Turn off ERG mode for V02 work. Better yet, do the efforts outside on a climb.

Just do a 4x4min V02 set. 4mins as hard as you can go, provided you can repeat it 4 times. You’ll learn how they should feel after a few attempts. I recommend fluid rest intervals. 2min. 3min, 4min, whatever you need to finish the set off.

On the final rep, you should be toast. If you want to do more, you failed.

It’s your maximum sustainable power over 4 intervals.

Maximum.

2 Likes

If you want to do VO2 Max, look at doing 4x4s (something like Lo Alto 110% FTP). Also if your normal cadence is 90, try doing them at 105-110, that should get your HR up and get you panting.

Here’s how I find such intervals.

1st Minute - This isn’t too bad.
2nd Minute - Okay getting harder.
3rd Minute - Yeah, this is hard.
4th Minute - Damn don’t look at the interval timer it’s going so slow, just focus on the rhythm of my (now rapid) breathing and I’ll get through it.

2 Likes

If the workout feels easy, mark it easy and they should get harder. Or pick a VO2max workout that’s PL 6 and above.
I don’t look at Hr on short 1-2 minutes efforts, the “feeling like a fish out of water” happens before my heart rate is at its max.

1 Like