VO2 115% 2min30s interval - out of saddle

It’s my opinion that if you’re seeking improved maximal O2 uptake, which is usually the goal of VO2max work, a higher cadence is better. Higher cadence produces a lower muscular force requirement for the same power output, and recruits a higher proportion of type I muscle fiber. These fibers usually primarily fueled aerobically. The lower your cadence, the more oxidative and glycolytic your effort.

So, if I’m coaching you to improved O2 uptake at high power, I’d have you aiming to sustain cadence somewhere 10-15 rpm higher to force recruit type I muscle fibers more and make the efforts maximally (but not entirely) aerobic.

@brendanhousler is a hell of a better athlete than me, and seems comfortable at lower cadence. He’s saying running 100+ rpm for zone 5 intervals sounds hard, while I can’t fathom generating that power level repeatedly at 84rpm. So I wouldn’t look at him and say, “you’re doing it wrong.” But perhaps there’s room for him to try these at 95-100rpm, make them even more aerobically demanding, and raise the MAP ceiling even further? Tough to say without knowing him other than on the forum here.

1 Like