Using Garmin watch to track RHR

Garmin 935 and 945. Body battery is a really useful metric for understanding how well I recovered. RHR is relatively consistent unless I’m increasing workload or sick. If I’m sick, the rhr will creep up towards 45-50 where normally it’s 38-42.

I make breakfast and check to see how much my body battery has dropped from that “stress” before logging into work and it helps drive decisions about how much I do in a day. If it drops by 2-5, then I’m good. If it dropped 15, I didn’t recover as well. Do I tack on that group run or rock climbing with friends after a vo2 workout? Do I need a nap in the afternoon to hit my workout for the day? How much are workouts going to impact my ability in meetings or taking care of life things.

1 Like

It’s first time I’ve been ill since having the watch so all new to me. Metrics are definitely tracking how I’m feeling and last night was a good night’s sleep, on the road to recovery… Body battery recharging better

RHR on the way back down

Will wait until it hits my baseline before I start cycling/running again.

1 Like

Mine looks like that and I’ve never got any sensible pattern out of it. Just goes up and down. The only thing I’ve noticed is that vacation lowers it generally (but not every day).

I find my 245 very consistent. I see the spike after a few beers, and outside of that it’s generally indicator (or confirmation) that I’m sick. I’m happy enough to trust it when I start to feel better not to go too deep until it’s back to usual range - that’s probably where I find it most useful.

1 Like

Finally back into my normal range. Still have lingering throat/chest stuff but feeling a lot better, maybe I’ll start some light exercise this weekend.

Just need the 7 day average now to stick around 39-40…guess that’ll take a week!

1 Like

I came down with covid last wednesday and had a (on that day) rhr in the normal range, hrv normal, sleep score pretty normal but felt something was up in the morning. by 1pm my HR was consistently between 100-120bpm and I had developed a mild fever and felt bad - sure enough it was covid.

I’ve recovered by sat/sun and now my rhr is quite low, 10bpm lower what I’d consider normal. rhr is way up like 15-20msec higher than what I’d consider normal. Body battery is in the 50s now but was 93 in the am. So should be fully recovered based on these metrics.

What should I make of all this data? I don’t yet feel like to hammer a VO2max workout but will do a short endurance ride after work. How do you navigate your metrics? Looking back I don’t know if it’s worth tracking these metrics for me at all as I don’t find them very actionable because for me they were quite delayed. It didn’t “warn” me of the upcoming illness and now that I’m recovered I once again go by feel and not the metrics. How do you approach your garmin metrics when it comes to high fatigue/illness and training?

If you know you had covid, then ramp back very easy even if the watch says otherwise. Listen to your body.

1 Like

yeah, that was my point. what use are these metrics if they aren’t actionable a nd/or delayed (at least they were for me in this instance).

I did ramp up pretty easy. Mon off, Tue 20min easy ride, Wed Brasstown, Thu Fletcher, Fri off and then a long 0.67 ride on Sat and pushed myself on Son and had another recovery week thereafter so I feel pretty good now. Thank you

1 Like

Follow your watch data blindly and do not question Garmin is the only answer.