Unbound Gravel 2021, Race / Ride

Thank you
I don’t think a powermeter is in my budget either, I have to get a new bike. And I do like staying married.

I will keep keeping on as I have planned for now then.

I agree, 2x is the way to go. When i did it i used a compact 2x, which was great.
Training-> All i did was a lot of long endurance rides. I only rode 3 time a week for the months leading up to it and got to the point where every Saturday i was doing a solo century (or longer). Solo was key as i pedaled in zone for all 5,6 or 7 hours each Saturday, not drafting, no coasting on DH. This was key since after the 100 mile mark in Kanza you may be doing long stretches alone. My legs were soild until 150 miles in and then i started to wear down. I ended up in the top 25 overall…not bad for zero intervals. Probably would be faster with some intervals added in, but my point is a a great base is very important.

2 Likes

The one thing people really critique about the Cutthroat is the wheels and tires. People tend to say they’re pretty heavy and slow down the whole thing

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/cutthroat/2020_cutthroat_grx_600

I am thinking if I get picked for the Unbound lottery, I’m going to replace them with the Hunt 35 Gravel X-Wide and a set of WTB Riddler 45c

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collections/gravel-wheels/products/hunt-carbon-gravel-disc-x-wide-wheelset?variant=33272382881837

Anyone have any experience or impressions with either the stock wheels (or similar), or these Hunt wheels? I doubt I’m wasting money. Based on research and armchair quarterbacking, my gut tells me that the Cutthroat + these wheel and tires would be a pretty nice ride for Unbound 100.

I’d love to hear from others about wheels!

1. It is natural for the race to string out and do so quickly. Expect to be alone for awhile. However, if you are worried about efficiency sometimes it can be good to sit up and wait for another group to come by to ride with, but make sure they’re going the pace you’re comfy with.

2. The race will likely be hot and muggy. Carry a hydration pack with electrolytes in it (not liquid nutrition, hydration specifically).

3. You will be competing less against other riders and more against the course. The area is littered with flint rock that is tire shredding. Reinforced tire casings and tubeless set up is advisable. Carry minimum 2 tubes and a patch kit as well.

4. Heat training will benefit you. If it isn’t hot where you live either train for a week in the bathroom with the shower on or turn your fans off. Expect your RPE to skyrocket. There’s a whole podcast episode where Chad does a deep dive on this. Heat tends to destroy a lot of riders because it often is the first hot weekend of the year.

1 Like

I have WTB i23 rims on my alloy Cannondale Topstone… They kinda suck. They’re durable and they work but there are much much better wheels. I’m trying to decide if I’m going to save for a whole new build or buy higher quality aluminum wheels like the HED Emporia GA Performance.

This is what Salsa specs on the top of the line Cutthroat:

I can’t find just the X1700 for sale, it seems like they call it “XC1700” now. They’re pretty affordable but only a couple hundred more for carbon fiber from Hunt.

Both seem like nice options … thoughts?

Thanks. That all seems like good advice.

Agreed 100%…the week leading up to DK in 2019, we were still riding in arm / knee warmers and vests here in Chicago for many of our rides. While I had my own issues due to being sick over memorial Day weekend, I’m pretty sure the heat was a contributing factor 9adn I usually LOVE the heat)… my buddy ended up with heat stroke when he got to the second rest stop and we had to take him to the ER.

holy crap. This is amazing advice. We will work on heat adaptation.

For anyone interested in the wheel issues above: Turns out the Cutthroat has Mountain Bike boost spacing, so I couldn’t get those gravel wheels I had my eye on. Bummer.

I ended up getting a set of these wheels which I’ll pair with some WTB Riddler 45c tires and run tubeless

They’re not the most amazing wheels on planet earth but should be a solid upgrade over the stock hoops.

A power meter is helpful but especially if you are doing the 200 you will have a lot of HR drift. I know Rebecca Rusch has said in interviews before that sometimes HR can be more useful than power for pacing an effort that long. Any data is helpful, but listen to your body, and RPE will tell you how to adjust power/HR targets.

Do you find out today if you got in?

Just got the email. Got in for the 100.

Crap. I mean… yay.

4 Likes

Just got my email. I was NOT chosen for the 100. Bummer! Going to do the alternate choice, which is to take amtrak to Pittsburgh and bikepack home to MD

3 Likes

I get to race 200 miles.

I prob need to start training

5 Likes

Got in for the 200. Just the concept of one day getting to do this event is what brought me back to cycling last year. Bought a Diverge, started with TrainerRoad the next day and now I’m actually going to get to do it. I can’t believe I got in first try…my Plan is called “Couch to Kansas” for a real reason now I guess.

Finishing is the ultimate goal, beating the sunset is my hopeful goal. A good number of gravel events from 70-100mi on the schedule from now until end of Spring along with a couple road centuries to get my nutrition and pacing in order.

OMG OMG OMG…

5 Likes

I am also Couch to Kansas :rofl:

Good luck!

2 Likes

I just bought a pair of these: GX - Alloy | Spinergy

Purple spokes, under 1500gr, 24mm internal and only $599. Being built this week and I have a 70mi gravel race on the 20th. Should be a good introduction.

1 Like

One good thing about living in South Georgia…Kansas might actually seem comfortable in comparison.

1 Like

If you see stuff you want, better buy it. Tires are hard to come by

Thanks for the tip! I ended up ordering these:

Because it turns out the Cutthroat has mountain bike Boost spacing.

I also got some GravelKing SK tires.

All of that is immaterial now, though, because I wasn’t picked for Unbound. However, I figure the cutthroat + these wheels + tires will be a pretty sweet gravel rig anyways!

2 Likes