TT training with Tri training

Yup. I sort my swim/run sessions from outside TR. At the beginning of TR there were no tri plans so I used the cycling plans and that has sort of stuck.

I’ve had a few approaches in the past but have often just used Base and Sustained Power Build with a longer ride replacing one of the planned rides. I generally can manage the TSS from the high volume plans alongside the swim/run as well and have had some good results from that.

Last year I mostly rode 2 TT’s a week, a midweek 10, 15 or 25 mile TT and a 25, 50 or 100 mile TT on the Sunday. I had done the Base and High Volume Sustained Power Build leading into the start of the TT season. With those two TT’s each week there was no point repeating steady state efforts in training so I sort of took the High Volume Climbing Road Race Plan and took double the time to do it as written. Alongside the two TT’s one week I’d do the Tuesday and Saturday rides and the following week the Thursday and Sunday rides. That gave me a bit of variety with two maximal TT efforts of different durations, one VO2 Max ride and a longer 2 hour sweetspot ride each week.

It seemed to work well and with a few longer rides nearer the full distance triathlon I was targeting I was on for a solid ride until I DNF’d with a mechanical 3/4 of the way round the bike :disappointed:

Ironically after the DNF wanted another race and entered Maryland with 8 weeks to go so decided to fit in the High Volume Tri Speciality Plan bike rides in that time and while on the face of it a 4:38 ride time was decent I was a little disappointed and felt I should have been quicker on that course - but that of course might be down to a long season rather than the Tri Plan per se.

This year because of injury and being advised not to do any hard riding I sacked off the High Volume Sustained Power Build I was planing in favour of 4 weeks of the High Vol Traditional Base 2 and a slightly adapted 4 weeks of Traditional Base 3 with some longer rides added into both so I’ll see how that plays out :grinning:

2 Likes