TREK Checkpoint?

hmm, you said:

so I would think 2x11 would be better. I’ve got a new bike with SRAM 12-speed and prefer SRAM braking, and Shimano 11-speed shifting.

The question I have is when the hell Checkpoints will be back in stores. There is nothing available in my area (Dallas), and no one is expecting to get them anytime soon. At some point I am just going to decide to wait for the 2022 models.

Quick, and not conclusive, survey of the dealer info I can see… says don’t plan on bikes until early 2022 at best, with some showing mid to late 2022 right now… That is based on looking just at SL models and is likely subject to change.

Yikes. That is worst than I was expecting. Thanks for the information though.

1 Like

I know my local Specialized dealer said that Specialized isn’t expecting normal pre-pandemic stock levels until 2023.

1 Like

That’s a big OOF. May have to settle for now :cry:

That totally matches what I can see and have heard through other channels. Crazy to realize that we are still 1.5 years from “normal” inventory again.

1 Like

Yeah, this is not the time for picking and choosing, unfortunately. If there is stock on the floor, or guaranteed for near term deliver, and you want a bike “soon”… act quickly or be willing to wait MUCH longer.

This can vary widely from place to place though, as some shops did a better job getting stock in the fits/starts we saw this last year. I know some shops are essentially empty while others have bikes still in boxes for back stock.

That is one of several reasons I ended up with a shortlist of Cervelo Aspero and 3T Exploro Race. Pretty darn happy with my 3T.

1 Like

Yeah, I was looking at an Aspero for this very reason.

Is anything in stock? No… but the frames are out there. I’d get a frame and then figure out how you’re going to build it up with parts that are in stock.

I’ve got an SL that I built up from the frame. Unless you really want a carbon frame, this is a good opportunity to save a few $$ and get an AL frame. Current, fancy aluminum frames are not the frames of 2009 and you’re rolling on fatter tires. My ALR Emonda rides about the same as my Checkpoint SL on the same wheels/tires. If I did it again, I’d go ALR and save some money. IIRC, they have the same mounts and such & the same weight. The SL clears about 52c worth of tire on a wide rim with good clearance; the ALR clears about 45c i think. The ALR also doesn’t have the seat mast, so it’s a better travel bike too. The SL’s narrow Di2 battery opening is handy for storing a tube and such. …and It’s a gravel bike, so you’re going to bang it put a bit.

I’d steer clear of the SL7 just because that SRAM Eagle cassette and RD is YUGGGEE. There’s also not $2000 worth of content in there. That’s a lot of mud collection area and wind sail (40c tires, plus 36mm rims, plus huge cassette…that’s a lot of sail).
If you’re going to putting a few different sets of tires on it, I’d get the smaller cassettes, as the Sram Eagle ones are expensive the the additional unit. I run 30c g-one speeds for road tires, 38c dry gravel tires, and 50c sloppy/soft tires… that’d be $700 in cassettes and $250 in freehubs (DT swiss are nice because you can just yank and plop the cassette from wheelset to wheelset) . (For 2nd wheelsets, Merlin cant be beat Road Disc Wheels & Disc Brake Wheelsets | Merlin Cycles )

If you can get the parts, it might make sense to get a fancy AL frame (saving $1k) and spec out something like a Shimano HG+ 10-45 12sp or SRAM Rival / GX 10-36 (or the new XPLR 10-44) + bars, tires, wheels, post, and saddle of your choice.

Piecing together an SL doesn’t make sense. 2k for the frame, 1500 for GRX, still need wheels and can get a complete bike for 4K. Not looking to go aluminum: no iso-speed, aluminum steerer, and I want carbon personally anyway.

1 Like

I have the SL7. Added the SRAM AXS power meter for under $500 with a coupon code and changed out the bars to some much narrower ones with a slight flare to the drops. I ride a 61 and the stock bars were well outside where I like them - the stock bars are very nice and comfortable though otherwise.

I previously was riding a Crux then a Crocket for gravel so needless to say this bike feels quite a bit more stable with a little less snap to it. I wouldn’t describe it as a fast bike necessarily, but aero tube shapes and more aggressive geometry is not necessarily common place in Gravel just yet for whatever reason - I assume so they can introduce them a few years in to get everyone to buy new bikes! I’ve ridden the Factor Vista as well which, save for the limited tire clearance, would be a phenomenal gravel race rig with the integrated cabling, cockpit set up and tube shapes. Around here you can get away with 35 c tires, but wouldn’t want to try some of the races with large/sharp rocks on it.

I ride the Checkpoint primarily for local, weekend gravel grinding with 42 C tires. It is a very upright feel, but extremely comfortable for long rides. I don’t use the fork mounts, but they are there. I just have two bottle mounts in the triangle and a frame mounted bento on the top tube.

I love the 1x12 - just upped the front ring to a 46 for some of the fast descents and road sections. I still haven’t used the pie dish on the back, but with Gravel Worlds coming up later this year, I am sure to need it if any of the nasty 18-20%+ grades make their way into the latter part of the course.

Overall I have been very happy with it. No issues to speak of a little over a year into it other than they mounted the tires backwards originally and I am too lazy to spend the time flipping them back around - especially with the mess of sealant that would have to be faced.

SL6 expected November 2022. Used bikes going for MSRP or higher. Guess no gravel for me

yeah… if you want carbon, you want carbon

…but

1. ISO speed doesn’t really do anything. I’m 200lb and use a lot of post and can’t get it to flex in any direction. Also, Trek has made the seat mast tube thick (31mm?), so even with the pivot there, you lose out on what the plain post could do because the mast is so stiff . A standard $75 post does the same thing without the fanciness. German mags put the frames on a jig and test the squish… .they’re about equal.
  2. Rival AXS with a lighter crankset (Rival crank is porky) is about $1000. Building your own bikes doesn’t make a lot of economic sense, but you’re at $2000 for ALR/Rival AXS + wheels ($1300 for fancy) + tires (you’re going to change it anyway) + post $100 + seat (you’re going to change it anyway) + bars/stem/tape ($200) + labor… so $4k for the AL version of the $6k bike or $4k for the AL version of the $4k bike with better everything. I tend to remove things bit by bit or have parts, so it made sense for me.
  3. AL steerer… it’s not going to make a difference other than about 150grams full length. (not sure how they list the ALR frame and the SL frame as such different weights, as the identically spaced bike used to weigh about the same… must be the paint job and they changed the steerer out)

What size are you looking for? Color? If you’re willing to get creative… for example…

I dunno about you but at 175lbs I can move my Emonda mast around while riding, even if I put a lot of force through it on my trainer with my arm and body weight, and it’s connected to the top tube so only flexes above.

I’m not interested in the AL or ALR, at all. I want what I want and I’ll get what I want, or I’ll get nothing and keep the money rather than compromise. If I’m going to compromise, it’s not going to be for 4k or even 2.

1 Like

I am a Trek guy as well. I have a Madone, Boone, Top Fuel, ebike, and kids have Treks. I bought a gravel bike but went with a Giant Revolt 0. I went this route as it came with carbon wheels and was cheaper than the Check Point. Very happy with it. Also Giant had a two year no questions asked policy if you break the carbon they will replace at least when I bought two years ago.

1 Like

@mcneese.chad’s comments match my experience. My local shop had the olive green SL5 Checkpoint in my size back in April. I bought it immediately (at the risk of making my wife unhappy!). Glad I did because every Checkpoint in my size is gone now.

Oh, and my wife is no longer unhappy, she’s actually happy since I’m doing more woods and low traffic roads these days!

Today, I took it one step further and bought the only set of Pro 3Vs they had in stock, knowing again they wouldn’t be available for who knows how long.

1 Like

Anyone using a Domane for primarily gravel? It doesn’t have the tire clearance of the checkpoint but also could be capable off road.