Training Stress

Hi Nate,
I, as well as many other users, really appreciate how well you and your team are “accessible” !

With all the many metrics that are available, I see that ftp and tss are the ones that are displayed on our career graph. I agree that we should keep the apparent data as simple and essential as possible. However, I thibk that weight should be included (and, hence, watts/kg). Can we have weight as a data series that can be updated easily and seen on the graph?

Or you could sync TR to Strava and use that to sync with GC.

I set mine up to auto import from a DropBox I have TR auto sync to! Works a treat, except you can’t get your old files in bulk, you have to do them one at a time.

Good idea. Thanks. I had actually looked for a feature like that in GC, but couldn’t find one. Just realised that the version I was using (3.4) doesn’t have that feature. But 3.5 development build has it.
This will take care of the immediate status, but planning ahead won’t be covered. I can see though, that calendar-publishing is on the TR-Calendar roadmap. Crossing my fingers for those calendar events to contain TSS of the planned workouts.
Still, a direct link between GC and TR would simplify things :slight_smile:

or at the very minimum get our weights back available in the weight - ftp history page. I had been using TR to track my weight last winter, and now can’t remember which periods of time I lost what. Critical when trying to evaluate past training blocks if we can say that while we only gained x watts, I also lost Y lbs so was still an effective block.

The url for the FTP history page still says Log In to TrainerRoad but we no longer have weight displayed there. Is that data still around?

Yes, we have plans for a good weight, ftp, and power to weight graph.

3 Likes

Yes, they will include training stress.

1 Like

Thats great news! Hope it’s coming up soon!

To really get a good sense of how much HR can vary during a similar physical effort…play online poker while training. It’s hilarious to watch the HR spike during a Z1/Z2 interval!

In my little experience, ATL and TSB are misleading in terms of avoiding overtraining. Something like ramp rate can help, but recovery is so much dependent on sleep, nutrition, stress factors etc. and none of them are covered by ATL/TSB.

You are absolutely right, but ATL and TSB at least give a figure of much load your training has brought to the table. Then I mentally “fill in the blanks” regarding the other factors.
Would be great if there’s was a possibility/metric to influence the fatigue curve by adding bad sleep, illness and so on.

1 Like

i’m a little under trained and tired (getting cold?) my HR is approx 10 beats higher than “normal”

Polar is doing that with their new Vantage V. It is called Recovery Pro and should use these different metrics for training recommendations. I don’t have that watch but it sounds promising.
But to be honest, if the watch recommended me a rest day and my TR Plan prescribed me a workout, I’d probably do the workout and not trust the watch… :joy: silly me

I cant seem to find that option? Only a sync with Dropbox, where it sends the ride data, but it does not seem to import from DB.

Question… does the 6 week daily average include days of the week that haven’t happened yet (i.e. 6 full weeks including the week you are in VS a rolling 42 days average?). If so, what TSS is used for those future days?

This could explain why some peoples TR and TP scores don’t align (mine certainly dont and FTP is set the same in each). Also, TP shows 2 different CTL scores it appears. For me the home screen shows the rolling 42 day average and the calendar screen shows the CTL for 6 weeks (including the full week you are in).

Hope this makes sense, maybe I just need more coffee. :coffee:

CTL and 6 week average are not the same thing and shouldn’t give the same number even with the same data. CTL is a weighted logarithmic average which gives less weight to TSS from the beginning of the 42 day period than from the last day. The TR method is just summing up and deviding by 42.

Mike

I just want to jump on this rather than starting a new topic.

Next year my a race (it might turn into two) is a 70.3.

I haven’t done any structured training except for a couple of weeks here and there of Finks plan and then failing to get to grips with it because of work being terrible.

At the minute I am in week 10 of training and hitting about 420 tss but I am just feeling like its not enough. I am working with a coach and wondering if I should be pushing for more training. I feel every week after my Saturday 2 hour ride I could go for more. My question is how do you know that enough is enough?