TrainerRoad's ML Adaptive Training successes will lead to a significant increase in pushback from coaches

I wasn’t meaning that the coach “sold” a plan, more that rider A would be given a set of workouts as part of their agreement with the coach, maybe a week’s worth, and rider B copied those, obviously there’s an assumption that riders A & B have similar goals. Other than maybe an FTP test I can’t see any coach going with handing less than a week’s worth of workouts to their athletes, it would just be too laborious. This is for remote coaching, I’m not meaning those coaches who are present at training sessions, that’s another level again.

Until a coach knows your response to various workouts the initial parts of any plan will have to be somewhat generic. Not as generic as one of the TR plans, more along the lines of “This works for most in your position and goals”, but I’d expect some adjustments pretty quickly once the coach and rider got in tune.

Definitely agree with your point about a coach selling plans - see lots on TP for example. If they are a starting point for the above coach-rider discussion then maybe not so bad otherwise just cookie-cutter trading on a name.

1 Like