TrainerRoad Outside Workouts on Wahoo ELEMNT

In the past, my experience of Wahoo fixing bugs like this has been great. The more people that raise it the higher up the priority list it goes. I’ve not had any issue but if I ride outside this weekend I’ll be sure to keep a look out for anything and report back to Wahoo.

2 Likes

I have also experienced this problem the last couple planned outdoor workouts. (I first saw this nearly two weeks ago.) I have been unable to snap a photo and submit to Wahoo support as of yet, but I’ll be sure to do it next time.

@SeanHurley thanks for submitting a ticket. Hopefully, it is acted on swiftly since it is coming from a TR employee.

I tried what Ivy mentioned and it worked like a charm for at least my last ride.

Thanks. Didn’t see that suggestion until just now. Do you have to do it every time you do an outdoor workout?

It worked for 1 ride for me, then went back to the strange screen.

2 Likes

I’ve done outside workouts both Sat and Sun and had no issues so seems to be quite intermittent - wonder if it is in some way device specific as I’d have no clue of issue if it wasn’t for this thread.

1 Like

Not sure. I have experienced this problem on the Roam and I believe someone else reported it on a Bolt. It could be related to workout length. Last time I encountered this issue it was with a 45 min outdoor workout, but I did not face this issue with a 1.5 h outdoor workout.

1 Like

I have the original Elemnt. Both my workouts this weekend were 90 mins.

1 Like

I did Town Hill (4hrs endurance) outside yesterday and ran into this issue. It was the first time I had encountered it. My workout on Saturday was 100% fine. I will note that for Sunday’s ride, I was also simultaneously using routing and had the unit on that page for the majority of the ride. When I flipped back to the workout page is when I noticed the scrunching. So I’m wondering if it is a bug when flipping between pages on the unit.

I had a handful of other challenges getting things working that day though. Power wasn’t reporting by the cadence was. It would report power when I hadn’t started recording and as soon as I started recording, the power would drop out and it would only be cadence. It was very bizarre.

1 Like

I’ve got a century coming up tomorrow. I’m thinking of putting a very long endurance ride in my calendar and ‘pushing’ it to my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt unit and treat it as an outdoor workout.

Since I’ve got no previous experience with this: should I be afraid of certaing ‘mishaps’ when I flip through the various pages on the Wahoo (climb, map, planned workout, …) during my ride?

And while I’m at it, here’s another - probably stupid - question : is it possible on a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt to combine both a TR Outside Workout on the planned workouts page AND follow a selected route on the maps-page? Or do I have to choose one of both?

Yes, change it on your element app. I do this with 2hour sweet spot, I put on the maps page ‘target power’ and ‘avg 5 sec power’.

Some advice -
You can add more fields but the map will be a little hard to read. I prefer not to put ‘lap avg power’ on outdoor workouts as lap avg will be slightly lower than target power due to stopping/turning - you shouldn’t surge in order to match target power, it defeats purpose of the workout.

With shorter or more complex intervals, it will be a little hard to follow - so I suggest use alternate workouts to find a simpler workout to suit.

2 Likes

no, you’ll be fine. just be aware that wahoos try to end the ride at the end of a workout, you just have to click “resume” instead of “end” (idk if it keeps recording in the meantime, so I always am ready to click it)

2 Likes