TR PowerMatch vs KICKR power matching

If I enable the KICKR ANT+ power meter matching should I disable Powermatch in TR and instead pair TR to my KICKR for power reference? I would think so, but looking to hear any opinions in terms of comparing accuracy, response time, stability, etc. Just to be clear, I’m deciding between several options for running a TR workout (on an iPad):

1. Bluetooth pair my KICKR as the controllable trainer, Bluetooth pair my Quarq as the power meter, and enable TR Powermatch
  2. Enable ANT+ power matching in the KICKR software to allow the KICKR to use the Quarq (ANT+) as the power meter, then Bluetooth pair ONLY the KICKR to TR.
  3. Same as #2, but still Bluetooth pair both the KICKR and the Quarq to TR (this seems redundant and prone to extra lag but it is how I currently have it configured)

Thanks!

1 Like

1 and 2 are both viable options, while #3 could present some problems and complicate things unneccessarily.

Option #1 in theory could work better since there are fewer steps between the power meter and the smart trainer, however, the best way to figure out what works best for you and your particular setup would be to complete a ride with each option and see which worked better :+1:.

I’ve got:

• Kickr 2017 direct drive / wheel off
  • Stages power meters, started with left-only, now left-right

Have played with all combinations and decided on “one source of truth” which ended up being TR PowerMatch. Some of the advantages:

• reliable as I found “Wahoo ANT+ power match” was not 100% and some workouts the Kickr didn’t connect to my power meter (you can tell almost immediately, “ultra smooth power” feels unnatural
  • in large chainring it feels like I’m riding outside, so thats what I use after testing small vs large
  • appears that I have the same FTP inside and outside
  • all rides/workouts are recorded using same power source

Regarding accuracy, power on the trainer is a LOT smoother than outside. I’m not aware of any trainer company or researcher publishing data that having “perfect power compliance” on intervals results in better training results. The pursuit of perfect power compliance is like chasing rainbows IMHO. Don’t let that influence your choice of chainring or type of power matching. Do what feels right.

Regarding response time on short intervals, on sprints as low as 20 seconds there is some skill involved when using Erg mode: Kickr Core Users, using resistance mode to sprint question - #18 by bbarrera and I’m very happy.

You may find something else works better for you. Hope that helps.