TR not for "serious" amateurs?

This.
IMHO TrainerRoad and competitors are self-coaching tools (unless e. g. you are working with a coach who works with TR as a tool rather than e. g. TrainingPeaks). I think @Nate_Pearson explained his goals for AT correctly: he eventually wants AT to become better at picking workouts than coaches, but that even future versions of TR won’t replace coaches.

To add to your point: even if you are working with a coach, the coach will rely on you getting better, not just in terms of performance, but understanding details of training, zones and the like. E. g. figuring out what being exactly at threshold feels like over time is incredibly valuable. And there are things that even the best athletes are struggling with, e. g. with the question when you should HTFU and finish your workout and when to pull the plug. Even with more objective measures of your fitness on a given day (based on, say, HRV) will not remove this. If your Whoop/Garmin/Optimize app says your recovery status is meh, you feel meh, what do you do?

Yup.
I, for one, just love the training process. I don’t know why, but I get satisfaction out of following workouts and struggling through hard things. But that isn’t for everyone, especially not all the time. Some people prefer instruction by a human rather than a computer.

IMHO if this cycling thing isn’t fun for you, then you shouldn’t force yourself. Sometimes you tolerate your “vegetable days” for a larger goal you have, but then you still need motivation for the things you want to use your fitness for (e. g. a Trans Alp in the summer or some event you want to ride with your buddies).

Agreed.
I think people underestimate the amount of time TR has spent to create all those plans they now offer. I don’t think a single person can (easily) compete, unless they are part of a bigger organization. What is more, everything is a remix, i. e. TR’s plans are based on the same fundamental principles as that of other coaches, so there are bound to be similarities.

But IMHO people overestimate the importance of choosing workouts and underestimating the importance of choosing the right training goals, the right balance of volume and intensity, and coaches keeping an eye out for common patterns and failure modes due to life stress.

Another excellent point. When you are really at the pointy end and closer to your physical and mental limits, it makes sense that you need a more personalized strategy to make the most of yourself. But likely that will involve optimizing a lot of off-the-bike stuff like proper nutrition, a good strength training regimen and making sure you get enough quality sleep.

1 Like