TR not for "serious" amateurs?

In my case the signs were very subtle, basically an unusually low heart rate during exercises. I thought this was a sign of increased fitness rather than a bigger amount of fatigue. Plus, I have been able to cope with this amount of training and stress for >= 3 years. @kurt.braeckel (who is a coach) really helped me and I followed his advice.

I don’t think this would have been an easy thing to catch for any type of software-only solution. This is a situation where exchanging with others and/or having a coach pays off. Hey, that’s why I am active in the forum :slight_smile:

Extremely rigid compared to what? Compared to having a coach?

I’m really confused: when I encounter this for any reason, I just manually move, add and delete workouts as I see fit. E. g. I got my 4th Covid shot this Wednesday and predictably felt under the weather on Thursday. So I moved this morning’s workout (a threshold workout) to tomorrow and deleted tomorrow’s endurance ride. (I will still do an endurance ride, because I need to go to my LBS to have my STI levers replaced.)

If I want to or need to take days off, I add an annotation to my training plan and AT will adapt my plan accordingly. That also works after the fact. Done that many times already.

How is that “extremely rigid”? I have easily been able to accommodate the situations you have mentioned in your post. What more do you want? Do you want all of this to be completely automated?

I’m lost: what do you mean by “your reality”?

TR expects you to be an adult and know what you want. And IMHO it does offer plenty of options for people.

• If you want to train occasionally, and structure is not important, use TrainNow.
  • If you want to go on group rides or thrash yourself on a weekend ride, but you want to train a little, because being fast is fun, then opt for a low-volume plan. Replace the weekend ride with your unstructured weekend ride. Two workouts per week, and you can ride as much as you can recover from.
  • People who love training can pick from a ton of plans which are then adapted by AT and themselves.
  • For anyone in between, it seems to me you can find a solution that balances fun and training (unless training is fun, then you balance between fun and fun :grin:).
2 Likes