Too Much Recovery

My opinion is that a seven day recovery block is probably on the longer side of what someone might need. A working professional with a family and other life stress might benefit from the full seven days, while a high level amateur or professional might only need two or three days as their recovery “week”, TR probably uses a full week by default because it fits nicely into the three weeks on one week off program, and it’s better to error on the side of too much recovery than not enough during a recovery week.

I have always viewed recovery weeks with the following mentality: reduced Volume, intensity stays high. I’ll typically take the full 7 days as TR plans prescribe, but I do add a little (stress on the word little) of intensity. I’ll keep Tuesday & Wednesday as an easy ride, but on Thursday & Saturday I’ll do a -4 or -5 version of a previous or subsequently prescribed workout. I’m not looking to build fitness on these days, rather, just touch the energy systems, and like you set prevent myself from forgetting how to suffer. Recovery week favorites: are Gendarme -4,-5,-6 or even opener workouts (Truuli, etc.)

My humble opinion, if you care, 2 x 30 & 3 x 15 SS is too much during a recovery week.

6 Likes