To PowerMatch or not to PowerMatch?

I went from a flow smart to a kickr to a kickr with 4iiii and powermatch.

Try using the small ring up front and large in the rear.

On my kickr using the lowest gear dramatically increased the tracking accuracy. It makes the overall training a bit tougher due to lower inertia/flywheel momentum but that’s only going to make you a stronger cyclist on the road :+1:

I had a big problem with my trainer (taxc flow and stages PM) not tracking properly in erg mode. Sometimes it was ok, mostly not. It just wouldn’t go to demand power, but something too high or too low. Think I’ve found what caused it, just want to share in case others have the same problem. Its nothing to do with the trainer, PM, or powermatch, but with my fan! I have an Airmover Vacmaster (the Lasko style fan you can get in the UK), and had it plugged into the same double socket as my trainer. When I turned it on, the trainer started to have issues. I now had it plugged into a different socket a few times, and had no more problems. Can’t say if its due to the fan, or the wiring in my house is dodgy, but pulling from the same socket seems to confuse the trainer.

Yesterday used the Hammer H3 for the first time, I have PowerTap P1 pedals and used power match, there was more fluctuation than I expected and the ramp test was possibly a bit too much for a first ride on a smart trainer, found my cadence was too slow to complete the test. Also using a MacBook and that will not calibrate the Hanmer on TR properly.

Calibrate the trainer with Rouvy.

https://support.rouvy.com/s/article/How-to-connect-Smart-Trainer?language=en_US&ui-force-components-controllers-recordGlobalValueProvider.RecordGvp.getRecord=1&r=5

https://support.rouvy.com/s/article/How-do-I-Calibrate-the-Trainer?language=en_US

If you are new to ERG mode, watch this video.

7 Likes

Thanks that video is excellent should have watched it first :blush:

1 Like

It should be required viewing for anyone getting their first smart trainer. ERG is very different and often misunderstood by first time users.

Glad that helped and it should make your next experience better. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi all. So the best setup if we want to have a smooth track is erg mode on and powermatch with our own PM? That’s it?

Unfortunately it’s usually a choice between a smooth trace with trainers own power or an accurate jagged trace with powermatch.

I choose accurate over smooth lines as long as transitions between intervals is managed well.

Well. I got it. But you can use your own and powermatch, right? That’s what you do?

I don’t understand that - what do you mean by “your own”?

Powermatch will read the power from your PM and adjust the demand send to the trainer so that you do correct power. For example, if your trainer reads 5% low at a specific power, powermatch will add 5% to the demand, to keep the power your PM reads on target.
Without powermatch, it sends the workout demand to the trainer without modifying it. If you also have a PM attached, it will display the power from the PM. If you don’t connect to a PM, you’ll see the power readout from the trainer, and that is usually a pretty smooth line.

If you use the ERG for the ramp test and all the training does it really matter what the power meter is saying?

1 Like

That isn’t a question of erg or no erg, its a question of the power meter source. You can either use a power meter or the trainer’s inbuild power meter.

ERG mode just means that the trainer will set a demand power and hold it, no matter your gear selection or cadence (as long as it can, cheaper trainers usually have restrictions to which gears produce which power).

That’s my line with powermatch and my Assioma PM, on ERG mode. Can’t have the good power.

What I am trying to say is if your power meter and erg measure nearly the same why even worry about using the bikes power meter?

Maybe I should try power match

1 Like

It’s a personal choice if “nearly the same” is good enough or not :+1:

That said, the main thing I use powermatch to avoid is the drifting that occurs on most wheel on trainers even if you warm them up for 20mins before calibrating.

3 Likes

What trainer are you using there? Powermatch isn’t horrendous but I think it could be better.

I finally found the issue. It comes from disconnection between my trainer and TrainerRoad which last few minutes. That disables erg mode and gives that line.
Now I have to fix it but don’t know where is the problem. The plug it’s ok. It’s an ANT+ connection but don’t know if I can use bluetooth with the trainer. It’s a Bkool smart pro2.

I updated my Tacx flux s firmware and now there is almost a cyclical wave feel to the powermatching. This is actually becoming rather annoying. See below:

This to me seems rather silly. The trainer essentially has the correct power, and then “loosens off” and then I spin like crazy. This tbh is messing up some of my workouts. I am having the use gears to trick it whenever it reduces the power.

FYI using assiomo uno with a flux s in automatic erg power matching mode. Any ideas?
@Nate_Pearson Seen before?

I have a Flux S and you have me afraid to update the software…

I really wouldn’t. I went to the latest firmware, and this BS happens. I got around it by some nifty shifting, but this makes TT position training an absolute nightmare.