The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

I hear you - as someone who is still primarily a road racer, I feel it’s much harder to maintain my high end (that was already my weakness), but just generally using the calendar correctly to get the running in and be recovered for the more intense bike sessions is HARD. For road this year, I just upgraded to 3 in norcal, I’m just hoping the triathlon steady state work will help me with pack finishes and maybe some break aways…but not counting on any sprints!

1 Like

Wow sounds like a sudden drama out of left field, glad to hear it’s working out.

Jup, and it will stay this way. I was pretty tired the first week or so, afterwards you just adapt to it. Swimming is so nice and forgiving (compared to the run)

All the best for at home!

1 Like

I’m not focussed on swimming yet, but read through this article. Based on my last IM swim
split it reckons I should be capable of 1:09 for 100m…I’m hoping that’s a one off TT not reps!

https://www.alancouzens.com/blog/swim_benchmarks.html

Interesting article though.

2 Likes

Question for the forum… what bike shoes do you use for training and racing IM? Tri shoes or road shoes? I’ve been using a 7 year old pair of Shimano road shoes I got off my brother 5 years ago and wondering if I’m doing myself a disservice?

I am using tri shoes, in racing, training and road riding. I have road shoes but can’t be bothered to switch between them. Tri shoes allow for a flying mount / dismount (well, in my case not flying, but stopping, stepping in one shoes and fiddling with the other while trying to stay out of everybody’s way), and I find running in cycling shoes uncomfortable and dangerous.

If you’re comfortable with the transition situation you’re fine with road shoes, if anything they can be more aero and usually feel stiffer.

Short update from 70.3 Oman. I am going write up a big report once I am back home, but here is a short version.

I’ve had the perfect race.

Swim was a calm, wetsuit legal ocean swim. The tide was dropping so there were maybe 50-70m running to and from the water. Had to navigate some traffic on the way out, could draft some on the way back, 28:44 for a personal best and the sweet sight of a still packed T1.

The ride was a beautiful scenic course along the shore, through the old town and harbour and then up into the mountains. Mostly highways and perfect organization. There was not a single roundabout, entry ramp or crossroads unattended, I have never felt so safe on a race course. Struggled occasionally to keep my power down on the inclines, as some were steeper than expected and I ran out of gears, but otherwise I felt good. Eventually I executed my race plan to the t, at 216NP / 0.81IF for a 2:29:40 and the encouraging sight of an empty T2.

I wasn’t sure how to pace my run. In the past I’ve struggled to deliver a strong run. This time though my run preparation went exceptionally well and in the back of my mind I was secretly hoping to clean up the run course. Started a bit too hot at 4min/km, then dialed it back down a bit and stopped looking at my watch and focused on my form and breathing instead. I was flying and felt strong. The fact that I almost gave myself a heart attack with 500mg of caffeine in the first third probably helped as well. I kept running at a solid pace and the suffering only began around k17. Took an icy sponge and a sip of water at every aid station and got carried along by the cheerful volunteers. They deserve mentioning, their enthusiasm made this race really special. That was Roth-level, I’ve never experienced anything like it in an IM branded race. Anyway, I ran along at a good clip and almost caught my buddy, who must have put 7-10 minutes into me on the bike, for a 1:28:38, a HIM PB by a long way and good for 13th best male run split overall.

I finished in 4:33:14 for 6th in M35-39. Could have taken the first rolldown for Taupo but declined, for cost and family related reasons. Knowing I could have gotten it makes me happy enough.

20 Likes

:ok_man: :ok_man: :ok_man: :ok_man: Well done! I would have never thought the crowds would be crazy in Oman. Congrats on the PB :smiley:

2 Likes

@TG333, Smoking fast! Great job.

@Simo429, hope your son is doing better. It took me a month to adjust to the higher volume of T26

I use tri shoes mostly. Road shoes for IM distance.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m really pleased for you. That must feel immense! :+1::+1:

1 Like

I think I’ve missed the last few roll calls, by the time I’ve caught up with the thread I’m usually more than motivated enough to get to training!

I’m just coming to the end of FD Base wk8 and feeling great. Last week was the highest volume so far with 470TSS on the bike, 43km of running and a 2700m swim.

Bike workouts have been comfortably at +3% for the last couple weeks so I may ramp test at the end of this recovery week before heading into the last 4 weeks of base. Surprised how manageable 3.5 hours on the turbo in aero was last week but ready for the mental break of some outdoor riding once this British storm season ends. Also about to build up a Trek Speed Concept gen1 frame ready for race season which is motivating me to get outdoors.

I’m enjoying running the most out of everything right now, it’s never felt better. HR keeps dropping and pace increasing for the same effort levels to the point where I’ve had to switch my HRM to double check the numbers. Looking back at my training log, I’m running faster than my 5km pace from 18 months ago for my Sunday long runs (20km+) with a 20bpm lower heart rate. I’ve deferred the April marathon thankfully as the girlfriend decided not to do it so I don’t need to pace her and risk picking up any niggles, sub 3 hour marathon will now be the early 2021 goal.

Swimming is the biggest chore right now. My local 50m pool has been out of order since April last year so I’ve been going to a pool close to where I work instead in the mornings. I’m fed up of idiots with no lane etiquette and old men that back stroke in whatever lane they fancy regardless of pace. I’ve only been going once a week and getting some work in with bands at home other days of the week, roll on open water season.

Now time to face 46 mile an hour gusting headwinds off the bike…

3 Likes

These. They are quick to get on and off

2 Likes

Thanks for the Alan Couzens link! He is always a good read.

1 Like

Congrats. That’s a great result.

Week 5 of LV base done and feeling strong. Feel like I’m starting to get on top of the nutrition and can really feel the progress on the bike. I’d retest if the plan called for it :crazy_face:.
Have managed to tweak my knee running on trails for a couple of days and taking a spill. Some minor swelling around the joint but doesn’t feel like it will hang around and cause too many issues. I feel like I’m hanging back on my runs a touch and it’s time to start pushing on, I seem to run well off the bike for the short bricks I’ve done so far. Adapting the swims from the plan a touch but trying to stay true to the progression ethos and even feel comfortable in the fast lane at the pool these days. These plans seem to work. (Obviously I knew they would do).
Of course, normal people think I’ve gone crazy, buts that’s the point, right?

4 Likes

Sitting here on the forum eating lol. I’m basically remembering just how much I have to eat now that the volume is really going up. It’s just so much food.

2 Likes

Ironman Maryland here, and first Ironman! very excited :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi, IronAll!
My A race is a 70.3 in May, training on its way with a mid volume plan.
After that A race I’m planning a hilly(French alps) IM mid August.
So after my event, should I go for a full IM low volume or stick with the HIM mid volume and add a long hilly outdoor endurance ride every week?

1 Like

I don’t see anyone has responded about that, but you are supposed to enter your drivetrain loss in the bike details. The assumption with pedal/crank based PM is that you lose 2% from your drivetrain. You can change it if you know it is different.

1 Like

Yes, But who does? :slight_smile:

I wasn’t criticising BBS, but pointing out the difference between training to power, where everything is within it’s own frame of reference so it doesn’t matter if your power meter is incorrect as long as it’s consistent…and racing to power/comparing power, where everyone is in their own frame of reference and other factors that aren’t important in training, come into play.

I know you and Alen and a lot of others already get that, but I think it’s worth reminding people occasionally. The thrust of the side point I was making when I selected pedals, was “ while I think they’re the best for training (closest to source) they’re the least accurate for race day pacing (farthest from output).” But yes, if you know all your non-FTP factors, drivechain losses, meter inaccuracy, and so you can compensate.