The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

Im guessing there are not water fountains and stuff where you are going to run…
I have a hand held water bottle thats is 20oz…thats more then enough for a 10k in my case (remember i live in hot florida).
For boston i had a metal water bottle with ice in the shade… i filled my hand bottle a few times in the 26 mile run…
To me the vest is kind of cumbersome… and they are not cheap.

this is the water bottle I got…

If you get this bottle make sure you buy the one that have this nozzle…the pop out nozzle is garbage.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Video games. Kick your feet up and recover.

3 Likes

You have to train with a vest. Never try something new out on race day. My vest is a Nathan something or another but if I don’t have the straps just right it runs and hurts like hell after 20km.

1 Like

I didn’t do it, but I had a few friends who did. It sounded a bit chilly.
I think they got…
2nd female pro (4:05)
2nd Male 45-49 (4:22)
And 7:32

I think a few more did it but havnt seen the results

1 Like

anyone tempted to take on an ultramarathon? The voice in my head wants me to give one a shot next year.
I’m already signed up to a marathon, a 70.3 and planning an everesting on the road bike. Because of baby #2 plan, my timeline to be finished with all of these events is by end June 2020. Bad idea? Advice? FTP at 258 and hopefully on an upward trajectory with low volume plans only so far. My running is mediocre at best, 47minute 10k PB. I am really good at suffering though :+1:

1 Like

Ultramarathons are great.
I’ve done a few 50k and was training for the Lakeland 50 (50mile) but ended up pulling out as my father took ill.

There are multiple style of ultra…
are we talking 50k or something longer?
Wait till you finish the marathon and see how you feel. Then add 8k at the end to complete the 50k.

Training for a 50k is not impossible, but you will need to add long run (longer than 3hrs).

So does this become the IM 2021 thread… since 2020 was skipped? Just joined IMMT!

2 Likes

I’ll do one after the Ironman - I have a friend who does them and if you just want to complete it to tick it off then you dont have to suffer a huge amount. She takes the whole day with walk and eating breaks in-between and really enjoys them.

If you want to race one… training for that whilst training for those other 3 events you listed would be pretty difficult i would think.

Pfft, skipped? We’ve been training here all year - where were you?

:wink:

4 Likes

I was… not registered (but still training!) :stuck_out_tongue: I did 70.3 placid in 2019 with a ~270 FTP. I was testing at 320 about a month and a half ago on the road bike. I took a month off to do stuff… just tested at 276 on the TT but I think that will ramp back up fast.

3 Likes

Not yet. There is one I heard of where you start in France I think and run for two days straight across the alps. That sounds mental. :grinning:

I would be cautious packing in too much training and racing before baby arrives, you are likely to need to give some attention to prepping for baby’s arrival…not just show up at the hospital :wink: …like I did :scream:

1 Like

This time new thread will start Jan 1st as a Ironman Training thread again. I’ll collect race details as usual in case a race happens :wink: but roll call will be for anyone training with long course in mind, not just those with a race scheduled.

I’m loathe to make it a generic triathlon thread because I think we need more triathlon threads on the forum to nudge TR into focussing on our needs.

I’m down for the London Olympic Distance Tri, so I might run a sprint/Olympic thread too.

Plus we need a generic swimming thread…decisions, decisions…

2 Likes

Oooh agreed on TR features. I wish the run/swim text was available in my mobile app rather than having to go see it online and essentially have to “edit” to read it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

connect the calendar export to you mobile calendar - you can then read the swim & run workouts in your calendar

1 Like

You can take the rest of the day off. Your work here is done.

4 Likes

Very true, with a young family means I now have 10-12 hours to play with. Yep volume 35 miles plus running a week plus as 5-8 hours biking a week really

Well with 70.3 Worlds coming back to New Zealand in 2022, have decided to aim to qualify for that.
Looking at previous quali times vs my current times, swim and run are good but will need to shave off about 20 minutes off my bike :scream:

Just finishing off SSBII and then will go to Sustain Power Build before Half Specialty for a Jan 23rd Race, then 3 weeks summer break before Traditional Base I, II, & III.
Used plan builder for December 2021 and March 2022 70.3’s as A races, and starting after than and it gave me 7 week base, 15 week build, 8 week specialty, Race, recovery week, 4 week build, 8 week specialty.

Currently doing BarryP running which has taken 1 minute off my 10k PB from this time last year, so will keep that up, dropping it to max of hour long runs during Trad Base, will keep that up instead of the TR runs, and have a local swim squad which I’ll do as well.

3 Likes

how does one go about setting up this 5am email?